High molecular weight fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is: is it of the correct molecular weight and in enough concentration to make a difference as our fuel is supposed to already have the high molecular weight PIB in it.
if so can too much of a good thing hit the point of diminishing returns.
thanks

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
My question is: is it of the correct molecular weight and in enough concentration to make a difference as our fuel is supposed to already have the high molecular weight PIB in it.
if so can too much of a good thing hit the point of diminishing returns.
thanks

Are you referring to the patent or the Lucas comment?

Well both sir, and thanks for posting and allowing me to clarify, sometime's i post too rapidly...

Does Lucas contain the correct molecular weight PIB in it?

And then in reference to adding anything with the correct MW PIB to our fuel:

Should one happen to locate the correct molecular weight PIB in an after market addy, is there a point of diminishing return, where adding any more really won't help.

I guess a third question is how does the public know if these correct molecular weight PIB's are being added to our fuel and are they at the right concentration?

As to the general question of molecular weight, there is only a narrow range of molecular weight PIB's suitable for fuel additives. BASF is one of the major suppliers of these PIB's and will give a blender a chart of which PIB's to use and at what treatment levels are recommended.

As far as OTC fuel additive suppliers, it is unknown as to how much PEA or PIB they may contain.

There is a level of PIB such that there is a point of diminishing return.

In my own experience, PIB comes in the form of a solid and one must dissolve it in n-Heptane at a ratio of approximately 80 mL of n-Heptane per gram of PIB, and then determine how much should be added to fuel, so a lot of calculations have to ensue in order to determine proper treatment levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back