Need input from everyone - Should I buy this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wrestling with the horns of a dilemma, and could use some input from anyone who is familiar with this car and/or engine.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 Dodge Charger SE with the 3.5 v-6 engine, for about $1600.... maybe less.

The car has just over 220,000 miles on it, the body is clean and straight with no dents. Interior is also very clean. Automatic transmission.

Sounds like a great price, right? Just one problem - I have been told that it has an "engine knock."

I've done some research, and it seems that this engine is very prone to failure in the valve train. More specifically, the rocker arm assembly sits on four pins which hold it in place, and eventually one or more pins shear, leading to a shifting of the assembly and thus oil flow issues.

Here's a video of a more serious example of the tick:

... and here is a video showing other examples, and an explanation of the issue, for those who are not familiar with it:

Now, I have not had the opportunity to hear the actual sound of the "knock" coming from the engine in this car, but based on the mass of videos and forum threads all over the internet, I would say it's most likely this issue.

... So, those of you who know about this issue, or have experience, what do you think? Is it worth it?

I've been pricing out 2006 Dodge Chargers with the V6 here in the phoenix, and it seems they're going for between about $3500 and $6000.. depending on mileage and condition.

I'm considering making an offer of $1400 for the car.

While I'm not a mechanic by profession, I am mechanically inclined and do all my normal maintenance and repairs on my 2010 Fusion. I've got a good collection of tools and I'm comfortable removing valve covers, intake manifolds, etc..

.. so if I do buy it, I'd plan on doing the work myself.

I should also add that I've seen the rocker arm assemblies going for anywhere from upper $500 range, to mid $900's.

Also, this would almost certainly end up being a flip.. figure I could get around $4000-$4800 if the 'knock' can be fixed.

Last edited:
220,000 miles AND an engine knock? It needs to go to the junkyard. Unless you really want it,offer them $500.

Car has 222k miles, and it reads "not actual". Current bidding is $175 with 4 days left on auction. Of course don't forget added fees which are probably around $200 or so depending on final price.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Car has 222k miles, and it reads "not actual". Current bidding is $175 with 4 days left on auction. Of course don't forget added fees which are probably around $200 or so depending on final price.

LOL! I see you found the listing. Buy it now is $1650, and I was considering putting in an offer.. but for now, I've just placed my bid. I'll probably get outbid, but we'll see. $175 wouldn't be bad either.

As far as the "not actual" on there - I'm not sure why they have that listed there. I've pulled up the CarFax info, and as far as I can tell, mileage is accurate. There are also no crashes in the history and maintenance records are good. Even passed emissions in Sept. '16

I would be prepared to put an ENTIRE engine in it, & offer a price in line with that cost. If I was to try buying something risky to fix, it would be a bargain basement price. At 220K, there's going to be other things going wrong...
15.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would be prepared to put an ENTIRE engine in it, & offer a price in line with that cost. If I was to try buying something risky to fix, it would be a bargain basement price. At 220K, there's going to be other things going wrong...
15.gif

Agreed...if you decide to get it, and it's in otherwise good shape, you're looking at engine and maybe transmission change in the near future. If you're ready for that level of repair, go for it. If you're looking for something that will last 3+ years with oil and filter changes, look elsewhere.

Good straight car...OK

Fix the knock for $900 worth of parts....OK (How the heck do those pins break, anyway? Chrysler engineering strikes again)

Turn a 220K 11 year old car into $4,000 to $4,800 ?....a certain Super Tramp song comes to mind.

Keep an eye on it and offer no more than $400 toward the end of the bidding process.

You can offer what "you think it's worth" (and it is, after all, your money) but factor that downward due to the uncertainty of the fix needed and the dreary work of selling an 11 year old car.

I sold my relative's 2014 Charger V-6 base model for him back in December. It hadn't reached 31K, the phone didn't ring (Winter here in N.J.). All I got was $13,000 because his mom (my cousin) wanted it GONE. The kid had dreamt for $14,500 (based on retail prices on the web) so I feel I didn't do too badly. Kira

Unless you're a pro, this "flipping" bizniz sounds like a lot of F-ing around for little return.

Houses, where there are market swings and roundabouts and a historically upward trend to exploit, Ok, but with cars you're swimming against the constant depreciation tide.

Buying a broken car, fixing it up, and driving it, could be very satisfying, but doing it for resale? Too much hassle.

From my perspective, of course. If it works for you, great.

well, as is typically me, I say go for it! You're comfortable making the repair, and if push comes to shove, you've made like a $1,200 mistake.

*YMMV and I've never been accused of making good decisions

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Unless you're a pro, this "flipping" bizniz sounds like a lot of F-ing around for little return.

Houses, where there are market swings and roundabouts and a historically upward trend to exploit, Ok, but with cars you're swimming against the constant depreciation tide.

Buying a broken car, fixing it up, and driving it, could be very satisfying, but doing it for resale? Too much hassle.

From my perspective, of course. If it works for you, great.

Agreed. Sounds like another BITOG potential flipping disaster......

Last edited:
8a1a6a6e5e4fef8a5b5d5f195ac83187.jpg

"Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt."

It's not so much about the exact amount of money, but more your time, your admiration for this model, and if you can imagine being stuck with it for the forseeable future.

I don't like the rims either but would probably keep them since it's flip. As long as they are in semi-decent condition, hold air, not bent etc. I think they might appeal to the potential buyers. Esp since adding a cheap sound system to car right around tax time seems to make cars sell quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back