Vinyl repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the entrance side of my driver's seat I have a tear in the vinyl. It seems there is cotton behind it and I wish to fix it. Not just for it to look flawless, but I mainly want to keep this seat in good shape and not degrade as so many of my driver's seats do in this same region.

I think I saw something on SEEN ON TV for this, but do y'all think AAP, NAPA, AZ, or Oreilly would have something for just a one time use?

Any previous threads on this subject?

It's not a difficult repair. Done properly the DIY kits work just fine. But since it's not Rocket Science, any upholsterer with a reputation for good work will do it and not very expensively. And it's good to do it soon; nipping it in the bud makes for a nice permanent repair.

I have yet to find a vinyl repair kit that actually works. I mean it "works" but getting in and out of the vehicle eventually causes it to fail.

Like all cars with age on them, the side bolster on the driver side always rips or wears. I guess from getting in and out of the vehicle so many times.

I have a spot about 4" long on the side bolster on my 2003 Subaru. It's a Baja and the outer portion of the seat is supposed to be leather but doesn't feel like real leather. Underneath the leather is a white backing. That has yet to tear.

I've tried:

That cold patch stuff: flaked off within a few months
Black RTV: same as the cold patch stuff
Gluing a piece of black vinyl over top of the missing material. Wouldn't hold.

The cover would have to be removed before this could be done but the only thing I could think of is to actually sew a patch over top of the hole using that wax coated leather thread.

My father paid some guy to come to his house and repair the leather seats in his F-150 and couch and leather recliner. It didn't hold up very long either. I guess that's good if you own a car lot and your trying to sell a car with worn seats just long enough to get rid of it. Like putting block sealer in a Subaru with a blown head gasket....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back