List of Group V ester-based engine oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen

I searched, perhaps I'm doing it wrong but I'm not getting the results I'm looking for. I'm looking for a complete list of all engine oils that are full-on Grp V basestock. And perhaps a list of those that 'contain ester'. Some of you may know this right off the tops of your heads. Right now all I know of are Red Line & Motul. There have got to be others. Let me know, thanks

Originally Posted By: killahurtz
And perhaps a list of those that 'contain ester'.

That's a really big list...

36.gif

Gentlemen

I searched, perhaps I'm doing it wrong but I'm not getting the results I'm looking for. I'm looking for a complete list of all engine oils that are full-on Grp V basestock. And perhaps a list of those that 'contain ester'. Some of you may know this right off the tops of your heads. Right now all I know of are Red Line & Motul. There have got to be others. Let me know, thanks

By asking that question it implies that you understand formulated oil chemistry to a point that you can discern future performance based on composition.

What is an ester, why is it important to an oil's performance, and what advantages do you get by having it as a component?

Very few oils advertise that they contain esters, and just about all of the ones that do are racing oils (Redline, Motul race oils, Torco, Amsoil? and some smaller brands). Estes are very expensive. There are probably many "street" oils that contain esters in very small amounts, however, we will never know this because it will not show up on safety data sheets, as it is non-hazardous.

I wouldn't be too concerned with finding "ester based" oils. If you really don't want a Group III based oil, then consider Castrol 0W-40. It is PAO based and probably one of the best value oils on the market (available at walmart).

If it's too much to ask I apologize, and perhaps just the full-on Group V list then. That list should not be very long, and some of you ought to know it right off the tops of your heads. If this is not the appropriate place to ask let me know. Thanks

Originally Posted By: kschachn
At least "ester" was spelled correctly.

Is this response somehow in reference to my recent joining of this forum coupled with a sarcasm of a derisive intent? Were you expecting me to spell it 'Easter'? Look I just want to know OK? I thought this was the most appropriate place to ask. Apparently it is just an internet hangout for people who like to [censored] at each other. Nevermind I'll figure it out myself if that's the way you want to go about it. This forum has a reputation and it is well-deserved. Sorry to shortchange your popcorn eating emoticons, I'll be leaving now thanks

Depends:

Are you coming on here to learn or to argue?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants/

I know of no "list" as formulations are intellectual property, and any such list would be pure conjecture.

Remember the phrase, "Man cannot live by bread alone?"

There is a corollary, "Ester alone doth not a lubricant make."

Engine oil formulations are constructed of various base oils, of various viscosities, and with added performance improvement additives.

Last edited:
Is this response somehow in reference to my recent joining of this forum coupled with a sarcasm of a derisive intent? Were you expecting me to spell it 'Easter'? Look I just want to know OK? I thought this was the most appropriate place to ask. Apparently it is just an internet hangout for people who like to [censored] at each other. Nevermind I'll figure it out myself if that's the way you want to go about it. This forum has a reputation and it is well-deserved. Sorry to shortchange your popcorn eating emoticons, I'll be leaving now thanks

I was commending you for spelling it correctly, as opposed to the person who started the thread I linked (and prevents it from being located in a search, which you said you did).

A bit touchy? You seem quite familiar with a board you just joined moments ago.

If it's too much to ask I apologize, and perhaps just the full-on Group V list then.

As was already stated, such a list does not exist.

But out of curiosity, would you mind stating why you're interested in such a list?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If it's too much to ask I apologize, and perhaps just the full-on Group V list then.

As was already stated, such a list does not exist.

But out of curiosity, would you mind stating why you're interested in such a list?

Exactly, because if we knew why you wanted to know it would make a huge difference on how to help you

Ester based oil is thought to be a "racing" oil but I use Red Line in my 2 cars and change it at 10K intervals, now. Neither car is a racing car and the results are good.

As soon as I can figure out how to post my UOA I'll do it. Any help with that?

Well OK. I'd like to see how many miles I can put on a car I own which is supposed to be notorious for oil consumption. It has low tension oil rings. Everything I have read points to how esters prevent the formation of sludge in oil galleys and coking on oil control rings, among other benefits. I know it's expensive. My oil burning beater automobile, since I have been using Red Line upon recommendation and fixing the oil leaks, is now using zero between changes (5k OCI) which still has me in a state of disbelief. This list I was asking for which I am no longer asking for was going to be supplemental information for my personal edification. It was my understanding you people knew. Was. 1JZ I appreciate your civil response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back