Help calculating my final chicken price per lb.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Chicken = Cancer. Save yourself. Good luck.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/poultry/

The doctor that is behind that site has been discredited for his unwarranted conclusions and statements over and over again. He has one agenda and that is the religion of veganism.

Yet, you keep posting links to the site as if it is scientifically based.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Chicken = Cancer. Save yourself. Good luck.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/poultry/

The doctor that is behind that site has been discredited for his unwarranted conclusions and statements over and over again. He has one agenda and that is the religion of veganism.

Yet, you keep posting links to the site as if it is scientifically based.

The citations are right on the webpage. Go read the papers yourself. Click on the citations link and it will bring you to the links for each paper cited. Although most people don't even know what a peer review study is due to the level of ignorance in the general public. The doctor that runs the site is simply presenting the scientific literature. There's nothing to dispute. Which of these studies are in question?
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-outside-our-kingdom/

Is this for the dog food?

$2.19/lb for whole chicken is pretty high. You can get boneless skinless breasts easily around here for $2/lb, or less.
I also don't see how you only got 2 lbs of meat out of a 5 lb bird.
I wouldn't toss the skin or the juices.

It's worth to remember that the usual cheaper chicken in the supermarkets contains around 15% brine by volume that's been injected into the meat prior to sale.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I used to be good at math, but I think I'm rusty. Maybe this is an easier calculation than I think, but I'm hoping one of you will say, "Oh man...that's easy."

smile.gif

I cooked my whole chicken in my crock pot for roughly 5 hours on low. It turned out great and, literally, pulls off the bone!

I started with a 4 lb, 13oz. chicken for $2.19 per pound. After cooking and separating the meat from the carcass, I ended up with just over 2 lb. of usable meat. Rounding slightly, the parts that I'm discarding (skin and bones) weigh 1 lb., 4 oz. and the liquid weighs 15.7 oz.

What's my final price per pound of the consumable meat?

Thank you!

Ed

your actual cost per pound after the yield is taken into account is:

$2.19/.4156=$5.26

where .4156 is the actual yield in meat from the whole bird, it is calculated by taking the 2 lb. usable meat and dividing by the beginning weight of 4 pounds 13 oz. The 4 lb 13 oz is converted to a decimal by dividing 13 oz by 16 oz(=.8125) and adding to the 4 lbs. So, yield =2 lb/4.8125=.4156.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
... Have you ever seen a calculator malfunction?
Yes, when I press a key and it fails to react appropriately, or shows two of more of the digit I pressed only once. Never saw one give a wrong answer to a successfully entered problem.
Great point - calculators do very well IF the digits are entered correctly. But there are false key closures, missing key closures, etc. The TI-30 I used for the 1st semester of college many years ago was infamous for same.

It's worked well for me to round off numbers and crunch them in my head first - if my calculator-derived result is out by more than about 10% from my head math it's likely I've entered something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back