Honda K24 Tapping / Cam galling - what to quiet it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 91e30181
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
What to do to quiet a galled camshaft is to replace the camshaft and followers/lifters/adjusters (whatever it has).

Anything else is a fools errand.

As noted in original post, I am NOT fixing the problem. Putting $2k into a $2k car is a fools errand. Last time I did that to a high mileage motor, I chased problem after problem that may or may not have been related to replacing all that stuff. Come to find out after I sold it only a few months later, the motor quit on the guy who bought it. So yea, Im not going that route

Then just put whatever in it and drive it until it quits. It is going to get progressively worse until the parts fail so it is only going to get louder. The hardening is gone of the lobe or lobes that are galled so nothing it going to quiet it for any significant period of time.

You’re already getting significant side effects of camshaft material throughout the engine you might as well go ahead and dump STP/Lucas/Motor honey or other snake oil in it.

If you reject fixing it, the engine is already failed so no need to worry about other side effects...

What to do to quiet a galled camshaft is to replace the camshaft and followers/lifters/adjusters (whatever it has).

As noted in original post, I am NOT fixing the problem. Putting $2k into a $2k car is a fools errand. Last time I did that to a high mileage motor, I chased problem after problem that may or may not have been related to replacing all that stuff. Come to find out after I sold it only a few months later, the motor quit on the guy who bought it. So yea, Im not going that route

Then just put whatever in it and drive it until it quits. It is going to get progressively worse until the parts fail so it is only going to get louder. The hardening is gone of the lobe or lobes that are galled so nothing it going to quiet it for any significant period of time.

You’re already getting significant side effects of camshaft material throughout the engine you might as well go ahead and dump STP/Lucas/Motor honey or other snake oil in it.

If you reject fixing it, the engine is already failed so no need to worry about other side effects...

Thats actually not the case. I hear what you are saying, but the car has been doing this for 100K. While it has gotten slightly louder, its not much different and still runs amazingly well. So to just dump whatever in it to potentially kill it being reckless is just stupid

Thats actually not the case. I hear what you are saying, but the car has been doing this for 100K. While it has gotten slightly louder, its not much different and still runs amazingly well. So to just dump whatever in it to potentially kill it being reckless is just stupid

Allrighty, well T6 is probably as good of a choice as any followed by some form or 5/30HM or 10/40HM.

I’ve been through this, though not with a K24... At the point that it is growing progressively louder 6 months ( ~12,000 miles @ 100 per day commute) after a valve adjustment (which is I believe what you said in the OP) the end is fairly near.

The end could very well be near, but Im going to pretend its not and hope for the best. If it does fail, Ill just drop a used motor in it for $5-600 from an 04 or 05. Until then, its going to keep seeing the redline daily like it always has

The end could very well be near, but Im going to pretend its not and hope for the best. If it does fail, Ill just drop a used motor in it for $5-600 from an 04 or 05. Until then, its going to keep seeing the redline daily like it always has

You sound like me. I beat the snot out of mine. Doesn't bark or yell back. Is yours a manual trans as well?

Rotella has instilled confidence in me to continue running it hard. It is fun!

I was at one point going to suggest perhaps a used cam figuring they'd be cheap... they're stupid expensive.

Originally Posted By: redhat

You sound like me. I beat the snot out of mine. Doesn't bark or yell back. Is yours a manual trans as well?

Rotella has instilled confidence in me to continue running it hard. It is fun!

I was at one point going to suggest perhaps a used cam figuring they'd be cheap... they're stupid expensive.

Its an automatic, the trans is still 100% somehow (drain & fills every 10k must mean something). It used to be my wifes commuter then became mine. I actually do have a set of used, good cams. But then you have to replace all kinds of other stuff while youre in there and it becomes pricey and labor intensive. I just dont want to deal with it, but do want it to quiet down a little

I have had Honda's and ran Maxlife 5W30 for a few OCI's and it does quiet down the engine. Before going to a 40 weight, I would just try Maxlife in a 5W30 weight... It is a very good HM oil and cleans well.

This.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have had Honda's and ran Maxlife 5W30 for a few OCI's and it does quiet down the engine. Before going to a 40 weight, I would just try Maxlife in a 5W30 weight... It is a very good HM oil and cleans well.
I waS JUST ABOUT TO SAY THIS. IF YOU ARE RUNING TWENT DONT JUMP TO A FORTY. aND RECHECK THE VALVE LASH - MANY PEOPLE DO IT WRONG. eNGINE SHOULD BE STONE COLD.

I have seen photos of the cam galling on some K24 engines. I think the factory forgot to harden some lobes. My 03 CRV has almost 200,000 hard miles on it and the cam shows some scoring marks but no galling. I think once the galling starts, it's game over and nothing can be done besides replacing the offending cam and associated rocker assembly. You may try to notify Honda Corporate to see if they will give you a one time goodwill gesture on your problem as I believe this problem should not occur under normal use. Good luck.

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 at Walmart for ~$19 or so. It's a synthetic blend but in the 5w20 or 0w20 it's considered a full syn so go figure. Many have reported that it seems to run engines much quieter. It gets great UOA's as well.

Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I know its a mechanical issue bound for failure, which I will deal with (or not, who knows) at that time. Hopefully it lasts a few more oil changes so I can figure out what actually does shut it up. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wonder if adding a molybdenum additive will help it last longer?

Dern---beat me to it.
Napa & recently AutoZone have LubroMoly MoS2 (moly) additive which has quieted everything I've put it in---just be patient, you may notice some initial reduction in noise, but it really comes on strong after about 800 miles. At about 8 bucks,you cant go wrong, IMO
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I wonder if adding a molybdenum additive will help it last longer?

Dern---beat me to it.
Napa & recently AutoZone have LubroMoly MoS2 (moly) additive which has quieted everything I've put it in---just be patient, you may notice some initial reduction in noise, but it really comes on strong after about 800 miles. At about 8 bucks,you cant go wrong, IMO
Steve

Hi Steve,

Would you happen to have a pic of the MoS2 bottle? Would like to try some of this myself in a particular application. Also, how much of the bottle do you use per oil change? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back