2013 Civic low speed hesitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens periodically like when turning in a roundabout at low speeds, and doesn't happen all the time. It feels like the engine is bogging or stumbling at low throttle application. Car has 69k miles, what are some things to check first?

I had a 2009 Civic EX and remember the transmission being jerky at low speed within the first 500 miles. It would happen if you coast at low speed and then accelerate. I guess a rolling stop is the best way to describe it. If you came to a complete stop, it wouldn't happen.

How much gas did you have in the tank? I had 2 different vehicles that did that. One was a 89 Chevy 1500 PU. It was the actual gas tank. There are fins or something that prevent the pump intake from going dry rounding corners. They broke off inside the tank from sloshing around somehow. Another was a 2006 Ford escape. It was multiple defective fuel pumps from the dealer. Brand new vehicle dying on the side of the road with my babies every time I turned right. I got rid of it after 4 car payments because Ford could not fix.

So.. It could be a temporary loss of fuel. Or even bad fuel, water. Try a bottle of the new Gumout multi system tuneup sold at WM. Has IPA if there is water in your gas, has PEA if there is some crud in the fuel lines somewhere. Could be anything really but at least you are ruling something out adding a cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
It happens periodically like when turning in a roundabout at low speeds, and doesn't happen all the time. It feels like the engine is bogging or stumbling at low throttle application. Car has 69k miles, what are some things to check first?

Automatic or manual? CVT? Eco mode on or off? (Keep it off, or this is one thing that can happen).

AIRBOX tight and filter installed correctly. Make sure the intake plumbing is not torn.
I had a NEW mazda that ripped the intake rubber open in one year due to the sloppy motor mounts. Couldn't see it until I took the tube off as it was torn approx. 1.5" inside an accordion pleat on the underside of the tube.

Might need a throttle body cleaning. My mom's 2011 Fit had the throttle body cleaned and it definitely improved how it ran.

Yep, I will definitely inspect the airbox, run a fuel cleaner, and clean out the throttle body. The car was in eco mode, and is an auto (not cvt).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
Yep, I will definitely inspect the airbox, run a fuel cleaner, and clean out the throttle body. The car was in eco mode, and is an auto (not cvt).

Dohc98vteC,

1) Does the hesitation only happen in ECO Mode?
2) How is it in REGULAR driving mode?
3) Did you buy the car new?
4) Has it always felt this way?

In my, over 20 test drives in a variety of newer vehicles(2014-16) with either a 6 spd auto or a CVT tranny(haven't tried DSG/DCT), the engines feel as though they're lugging when driving in normal mode, around town, and they're probably designed this way in the name of fuel economy(I've read).

When put into their ECO mode, it's even more lethargic I have noticed. And I have noticed that it is more noticeable in the smaller 4 cyl engines(1.5L, 1.6L, 1.8L) more so than in the larger 4 cyl engines (2.4L, 2.5L).

I am curious if what you are experiencing is normal or, has it changed for you, for the worst?

Last edited:
Hmmmm!
Being a 2013, I am assuming it's probably out of the 3/36 B2B warranty?
Unless it can be covered under the 5/50 drivetrain warranty! To me, it's drivetrain/computer issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back