Oil filter for 2003 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe 130 thousand miles running pennzoil platinum 5W-30 what oil filter should I run? Think of near it down to three choices and AC Delco non-e core Fram ultra or the white KandN. Any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
All that matters is that the oil filter doesn't fail. Worry about the air cleaner and intake seal.

Don't fear the E-cores, they work just fine.
I've used them in my 2005 with the 6.0 and my MILs 2012 GMC Acadia with good results.
I use either the PF46/PF61 or the Fram Ultra XG3675 in my truck.

My two favorites are Wix 51522 (aka Napa Gold 1522) and Mobil 1 M1-206. Exceptional quality on both, never had a problem with either. Fram Ultra XG3675 is an excellent filter too.

At one time K&N oil filters were similar (or identical) in construction to the Mobil 1 filters, but the K&N oil filters are now made in China I believe; I haven't used one of the newer made in China ones so I can't comment on their quality.

AC Delco non e-core PF46 is a good choice if you want to use the short version.

Originally Posted By: CT8
All that matters is that the oil filter doesn't fail. Worry about the air cleaner and intake seal.

Yup - roger that. The PF61 is fine - I've double stinted them w no issues.

Originally Posted By: jxthomps
Have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe 130 thousand miles running pennzoil platinum 5W-30 what oil filter should I run? Think of near it down to three choices and AC Delco non-e core Fram ultra or the white KandN. Any suggestions

If vertical and I suspect it is, you don't need a ADBV. So the factory AC Delco PF61 is recommended.
I've been using the PF 61 on my Colorado since 2004. I run it 12K (2-6K OCIs)

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Fram ultra or Fram tough guard. The AC delco or Wix are good if you don't mind losing some filtering efficiency.

Just curious but how is the better filter which is the wix filter here going to lose filtering efficiency? Please explain your claim. I remember a few years ago when everyone on this forum hated fram because of the cardboard end caps and the glue issue on the filter element itself. How is it that everyone loves them now when they are pretty much made the exact same way? Just curious is all. Personally I prefer the better filters like Baldwin, Hastings, Purolator, Wix, Mann

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Diesel16
Fram ultra or Fram tough guard. The AC delco or Wix are good if you don't mind losing some filtering efficiency.

Just curious but how is the better filter which is the wix filter here going to lose filtering efficiency? Please explain your claim. I remember a few years ago when everyone on this forum hated fram because of the cardboard end caps and the glue issue on the filter element itself. How is it that everyone loves them now when they are pretty much made the exact same way? Just curious is all. Personally I prefer the better filters like Baldwin, Hastings, Purolator, Wix, Mann

One of the brighter forum members will be along shortly to explain this to you, but Wix's Beta Ratio is used to figure its efficiency. I went through this a year or so ago and it doesn't have the efficiency of the Fram Ultra. I can't comment on the FTG or the AC Delco. Again, someone will be along shortly who can explain the Beta Ratio.

Originally Posted By: BlindBaby

One of the brighter forum members will be along shortly to explain this to you, but Wix's Beta Ratio is used to figure its efficiency. I went through this a year or so ago and it doesn't have the efficiency of the Fram Ultra. I can't comment on the FTG or the AC Delco. Again, someone will be along shortly who can explain the Beta Ratio.

So having less filter media aka fram filter is better at filtering oil vs more filter media aka wix filter? Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. I would think a person would want more filter media so it filters the oil better. Plus wouldn't you want a filter that doesn't have glued on cardboard end caps but has metal end caps which would be better?

So having less filter media aka fram filter is better at filtering oil vs more filter media aka wix filter? Sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever. I would think a person would want more filter media so it filters the oil better. Plus wouldn't you want a filter that doesn't have glued on cardboard end caps but has metal end caps which would be better?

The amount of filter media is associated with holding capacity, not filtering efficiency.

Regular WIX/NAPA Gold is 95% @ 20 microns. WIX XP/NAPA Platinum is 50% @ 20 microns.

Fram Ultra and Fram TG are both 99% @ >=20 microns. Fram Ultra holds more debris than the TG, that's why the Ultra has the 15K vs 10K use rating for the TG.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The amount of filter media is associated with holding capacity, not filtering efficiency.

How? Please explain

Regular WIX/NAPA Gold is 95% @ 20 microns. WIX XP/NAPA Platinum is 50% @ 20 microns.

Fram Ultra and Fram TG are both 99% @ >=20 microns. Fram Ultra holds more debris than the TG, that's why the Ultra has the 15K vs 10K use rating for the TG.

So fram made a major turn around then especially in this forum? Fram use to be hated on here. What do you guys thing of the regular orange can fram with the black grip on the bottom? Currently I use wix and baldwin filters on my car. Do you believe they are over kill on the car? Do you believe the fram filter would filter the oil a lot better then the baldwin or wix? I was always told Hastings, Baldwin, Wix where superior to fram, mobil 1, bosch filters. Especially from what I use to read on this forum a few years ago. From what I understand fram was horrible when Honeywell was making them. So who makes them now?

So fram made a major turn around then especially in this forum? Fram use to be hated on here. What do you guys thing of the regular orange can fram with the black grip on the bottom? Currently I use wix and baldwin filters on my car. Do you believe they are over kill on the car? Do you believe the fram filter would filter the oil a lot better then the baldwin or wix? I was always told Hastings, Baldwin, Wix where superior to fram, mobil 1, bosch filters. Especially from what I use to read on this forum a few years ago. From what I understand fram was horrible when Honeywell was making them. So who makes them now?

The Fram EG (orange can) is their lowest tier filter, and is rated at 95% @ =>20 microns and good for up to 5,000 miles. The TG is the next step up, and the XG is their top filter. The EG efficiency is the same as the regular WIX/NAPA Gold, but those may be able to go longer use interval. Not sure if WIX even rates their regular filters for use period, probably just claim they can do the OEM filter change interval.

There's nothing wrong with the EG if used as Fram recommends.

How? Please explain

Think of it this way. Take a 1 square inch of media and test it for filtering efficiency. That 1 square inch of media will have the same efficiency as all the rest of the media, but it won't hold much debris before loading up.

The efficiency is not dependent on the area. The area determines how much debris the filter can hold ... know as the "holding capacity".

How? Please explain

Think of it this way. Take a 1 square inch of media and test it for filtering efficiency. That 1 square inch of media will have the same efficiency as all the rest of the media, but it won't hold much debris before loading up.

The efficiency is not dependent on the area. The area determines how much debris the filter can hold ... know as the "holding capacity".

Ok but still wouldn't you want the filter with more holding capacity?

ZeeOSix:

Do you recall the formula or multiplier used to convert Wix's Beta Ratio to a percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back