Why UPS trucks (almost) never turn left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit
I think it's because they drop most of their packages off at the post office!

This is really starting to tick me off. When I have something shipped, I purposely pay more to have it shipped UPS because their tracking system is accurate. You never know what you're going to get with tracking info from USPS...it may be accurate, but more than likely it's not, and sometimes it doesn't even exist. I pay more for UPS shipping, then they hand it off to USPS anyway, so why am I paying more for UPS if it's going to end up being delivered by USPS anyway?

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't get what they're saving by avoiding left turns????

Most left turns involve stopping, or at least a great deal of them do. Not only stopping but waiting, for either traffic to clear, or for the light to change.

I don't get what they're saving by avoiding left turns????

Did you read the linked article?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Doesn't make sense. Lets drive around the block make 4 right turns to avoid a left.

+1

If I avoided making left turns my commute would take 3x longer. I think this has to do with UPS planning their routes so they make mostly right turns so less waiting and less fuel consumption. Not just driving and randomly avoiding left turns.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Doesn't make sense. Lets drive around the block make 4 right turns to avoid a left.

+1

If I avoided making left turns my commute would take 3x longer. I think this has to do with UPS planning their routes so they make mostly right turns so less waiting and less fuel consumption. Not just driving and randomly avoiding left turns.

Exactly.

They still do make left turns, but they plan out their routes in such a way where the number of these left turns is relatively small. As the article explains (if people would read it), their navigation software accounts for the added time/expense of having to typically wait longer to make a left hand turn. They don't just use Garmin.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
When I met my wife 15 years ago, she told me her father didn't make left hand turns unless there was a light with a left turn arrow. I thought it was a bit eccentric but then I heard about UPS drivers when i mentioned the no lefts to a friend at work and she told me husband who drives UPS semis doesn't turn left turn either.

My father in law has his routes planned out to make right turns only. He does it for safety reasons. He's retired; he's in no rush and it's quite busy with traffic where he lives.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I think it's because they drop most of their packages off at the post office!

This is really starting to tick me off. When I have something shipped, I purposely pay more to have it shipped UPS because their tracking system is accurate. You never know what you're going to get with tracking info from USPS...it may be accurate, but more than likely it's not, and sometimes it doesn't even exist. I pay more for UPS shipping, then they hand it off to USPS anyway, so why am I paying more for UPS if it's going to end up being delivered by USPS anyway?

I know of government agencies that made it a rule to use UPS rather than USPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back