Verdict: Best air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean ones in a half dozen brands mentioned - and don't forget the air in your pipes if ya got that filter too ...

That would be a fun thread - post that nasty CAF you forgot about
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
AEM Dryflow.

Factory air filter put up half on the restriction gauge when new.

Dryflow shows nothing after 21k miles on one of my trucks.

3ppm of Si on 11k mile OCI.

And made by K&N.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: splinter
K&N?

If you want to ruin your MAF sensor.

Never ruined a single MAF sensor in any of the applications I've used their drop in filters. I hate when people speak in certainties about topics that have too many variables. I'm not denying that in certain applications and situations ie. customers have been heavy handed or equipment was already prone to failures, that MAF issues have arisen. This I can promise you, the incidents of MAF failures are far fewer than the myriads of success & happy customer experiences.

+1

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Neil_A
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: splinter
K&N?

If you want to ruin your MAF sensor.

Never ruined a single MAF sensor in any of the applications I've used their drop in filters. I hate when people speak in certainties about topics that have too many variables. I'm not denying that in certain applications and situations ie. customers have been heavy handed or equipment was already prone to failures, that MAF issues have arisen. This I can promise you, the incidents of MAF failures are far fewer than the myriads of success & happy customer experiences.

+1

I've had various experiences with the K&N. It came with my '98 Maxima SE at 165K miles and we drove it till 256K miles. No issues and I kept it clean every 20K miles or so (sometimes more often). I have one now in my wife's '14 Rogue with no issues (needs a cleaning now). BUT, I put one in my son's '07 S80 that would cause P0171/174 CEL error but otherwise the car drove fine. I would clean the MAF (w/CRC cleaner and it was not really dirty to the naked eye) and clear the code but it would return a month or so later. Switching back to the Malhe Volvo OEM air filter, this CEL would not return. Very odd. On the S80, I noticed no additional performance benefit with it on. Never noticed any Si (PPM) increase in my BlackStone labs reports for my cars which had the K&N filter.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yup, you can't get a better filter. That's a great looking setup BTW
thumbsup2.gif

I agree, nice setup! I might look into one of those for my Ram.

Depends. Powercores have triggered the filter minders in diesel Rams and even sucked them closed like an accordion in short order.

Might just be they don't make one with enough flo for a turbodiesel, but it is weird.

Depends. Powercores have triggered the filter minders in diesel Rams and even sucked them closed like an accordion in short order.

Might just be they don't make one with enough flo for a turbodiesel, but it is weird.

They make them for giant earthmoving equipment, I am quite sure they make one big enough. Some of the PowerCore filters are listed as flowing over 1,400CFM
21.gif

I've also seen them on a 600 CAT, big old ISX....etc. So an ISB is hardly a demanding application.

Yes, but the industrial Powercore filters, and the cone filter replacement line are two different animals.

The appropriate Powercore industrial filter for my Rams engine would never fit under the hood of mh Ram. I know, because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how.

Yes, but the industrial Powercore filters, and the cone filter replacement line are two different animals.

The appropriate Powercore industrial filter for my Rams engine would never fit under the hood of mh Ram. I know, because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how.

Would be easy enough to find the CFM rating I imagine. GM was using them stock on their diesel from what I recall (probably custom application) and I believe Ford was doing the same. So I'm certain one exists in the proper size and flow rating to work on an ISB, but you may have to pirate it from a Ford PSD or a GM truck.

Ford and GM did use the Powercore, but the model they used was pretty much the bare minimum as far as CFM.

Not that Chrysler did any better. As I said, my stock intake with a Mopar panel filter pulled my restriction gauge down be half when brand new.

But the Powercore filter I want is even larger. It's the dual-stage one with the heavy-contaminant separator that skaes the heavy contaminants out as it operates. You can even hook a tube from the filter to the downrange of the exhaust which will vacuum evacuate the heavy contaminants. I haven't stopped working on figuring it out. All of my airboxes get a healthy pile of sand in them that have to be cleaned out.

Ford and GM did use the Powercore, but the model they used was pretty much the bare minimum as far as CFM.

Not that Chrysler did any better. As I said, my stock intake with a Mopar panel filter pulled my restriction gauge down be half when brand new.

But the Powercore filter I want is even larger. It's the dual-stage one with the heavy-contaminant separator that skaes the heavy contaminants out as it operates. You can even hook a tube from the filter to the downrange of the exhaust which will vacuum evacuate the heavy contaminants. I haven't stopped working on figuring it out. All of my airboxes get a healthy pile of sand in them that have to be cleaned out.

Ahhh, gotcha on the setup you are looking at
thumbsup2.gif

yes, the Donaldson nanfiber membrane used in their filters is much better than the std paper media.

It is ashame Amsoil stopped making the panel filters liscensed from Donaldson.

I have thee same Volant with the power core in my hemi jeep, really wakes it up, sounds awesome too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back