Wilson branded alternators? any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace my mothers alternator on her VW beetle. My two local parts stores have either a new OEM Bosch (Germany) unit for $300 w/ 2yr warranty and the other has a new Wilson (BBB Industries) unit for $246 w/5yr warranty. Never heard of Wilson before but apparently their a division of BBB Industries and they're units are assembled in the USA. Anyone try them?

Thanks

Last edited:
NEVER HEARD OF WILSON BUT BOTH PRICES SOUND INCREDIBLY HIGH. I PURCHASED A BOSCH REBUILT (REDONE BY CARQUEST?) FOR VOLVO 240 FOR $60? WITH COUPON BEFORE CORE, LIFETIME? WARRANTY.

If the part is easy to change go with the longer warranty at a cheaper price, but if the labor is extensive and you don't want to do it again get the Bosch

My Latest externally regulated reman alternator is a Wilson.

Installed 19 months ago, but not much mileage, but usually worked hard.

Meets specs: 50a idle 120 max

Alternators are very basic devices that are well understood and made of simple materials; copper, aluminum, a bearing or two, a voltage regulator that was essentially perfected in the 1970's (or not; some electrical systems use external regulators). A rebuild generally involves replacing all wear parts whether they need it or not. Hard to go wrong with any brand, really. Alternator rebuilders once dotted every city with more than two taxicabs. There is no real value in the brand; anyone can do this.

I usually buy the kit and rebuild them myself. Much cheaper, but the point is even the parts aren't expensive, so it's there's not even much incentive to cheap out there. They don't even pay much for the Core. You're paying for labour, shipping for a relatively heavy device (that [censored] copper again) (twice), and profit times three entities (rebuilder, wholesaler, retailer). Fifty bucks on a $300 retail item is in the realm of a rounding error.

Johnny, that response should be an intro to an economics book chapter. BEAUTIFULLY written!

I am blessed to have a 3rd generation rebuilder near me. I have shown up with alternators by bicycle and they jump on the job.

Good stuff.

Does it have a Bosch on it now?

My Volvo has a Bosch alternator, and they can be easily repaired by buying a set of Bosch brushes/regulator. If the bearing is bad, then it gets more involved, and I will just take it to a local shop to have them fix that. Instead of buying the Bosch kit, I opted for the cheaper KAE made in Germany brushes/regulator. Cost me about $15 shipped for the part.

Link a picture of the alternator that fits the VW.

At least around here there are two places that rebuild them along with starters and other electric motors. It was cheaper to rebuild my 02 Silverado's alternator than buy one off the shelf. Plus I know it will work and fits properly. I always try to have mine rebuilt. Just makes sense to me.

I work part-time a the local NAPA. Wilson rebuilts are very high quality. We don't sell many, because they are usually higher in price and we have to order them in (we don't stock them), but we have some customers who insist on them. Wilson is also a good source for hard-to-find applications like ag & industrial.

You can DIY or get it repaired locally. My Dodge came new with a Bosch alternator. Brushes are $5 a pair at O'reilly. Don't even have to remove the alternator, just unscrew a holder and replace. Still have the OEM after 31 years and 300k miles. Why pay hundreds for a $5 repair?

A minor point: it wasn't until the 1980s that voltage regulators were nearly perfected.

Bosch introduced a combined regulator and brush assembly in the early 1980s. Their idea was to make an easily replaced assembly that fixed the two most common failures. But they switched just when the regulators became much more reliable.

It was still a great idea, especially when the alternators were mounted high on the engine and the rear was easily accessible. You could inspect or replace the assembly in a few minutes. As a contrast, GM alternators of the era required removing the alternator and splitting the case to replace the brushes or internally-mounted regulator.

Some Bosch voltage regulators have easily replaced brushes. Others are a PITA to replace the brushes on because they both crimp and solder the brush wires. Most consider any service too much of a hassle and just replace the whole assembly. Which is a good idea if you can get one for $8 instead of $189.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
My Latest externally regulated reman alternator is a Wilson.

Installed 19 months ago, but not much mileage, but usually worked hard.

Meets specs: 50a idle 120 max

Today, it survived a load dump when a 140 amp circuit breaker tripped after less than 5 minutes of 70 to 90 amps, and then added 18 more via the blower motor.

I expected blown Diodes, but it still does 50+ amps at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back