Careless assembly of a factory Camaro V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not seeing an issue here. According to the video, that machine lines it up and lowers it perfectly.

It looked kind of quick, but did not appear as if it was getting slammed in there.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'm not seeing an issue here. According to the video, that machine lines it up and lowers it perfectly.

It looked kind of quick, but did not appear as if it was getting slammed in there.

Exactly. Perfectly square, and by design. Nothing to see here, just more endless speculation about nuttin'...

It's pretty clear the "lift assist" controls the speed that the crank is guided into the block. The person on the assembly line never lifts an ounce of the crank, they just guide it in.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

Is it my imagination, or are the V6 workers a little careless with their assembly?

I've seen tons of "Detroit" car assembly videos.
It's the result of Union Labor instilling the idea that these guys can't get fired, even for doing a [censored] job.

When you go to places where employees are held accountable for their actions, they take more pride and care in their work. It's as simple as that.

You certainly know that the German carmakers are unionized.

It was dropped pretty hard-it actually BOUNCED off the main bearings when it was released! Fortunately the mains seem to be able to take more abuse than most internal engine parts, usually the rings are gone or there's a rod chucked through a block before the mains fail... I guarantee that no reputable engine rebuilder would drop a crank in that hard.

If I were going to make a bet on engine durability, I'd bet that one of these supposedly roughly assembled Chevy V-6s would run for more hours and more miles than any engine from either Bentley or Porsche.
Volume production factories aren't environments in which gentle and careful handcrafting is done.
It isn't the workers, either.
The line must run at a certain minimum speed to meet the output and cost goals of the manufacturer.
This is the same manufacturer that recommended that powdered cleanser be used to seat the rings on early SBCs that showed high oil consumption.
Guess what? It worked and caused no harm.
GM does know a thing or two about building engines. They've designed and built enough of them and most have been very good long-lived designs.

Is it my imagination, or are the V6 workers a little careless with their assembly?

Ed

I didn't see anything wrong, They are not engine builders, They are assembly line workers......The machines do all the precision work.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I've seen tons of "Detroit" car assembly videos.
It's the result of Union Labor instilling the idea that these guys can't get fired, even for doing a [censored] job.

When you go to places where employees are held accountable for their actions, they take more pride and care in their work. It's as simple as that.

LOL, Porsche and Bentley workers have much more protection then workers in Detroit. You really think it is hard to fire someone in GM? Go to Germany to ANY work place.

Didn't realize the DOHC 3.6 uses one of those integrated exhaust manifold ports like the newer K24 and R18 Honda's. So no such thing as some LT headers on a 3.6?

Originally Posted By: redhat
Didn't realize the DOHC 3.6 uses one of those integrated exhaust manifold ports like the newer K24 and R18 Honda's. So no such thing as some LT headers on a 3.6?

Nope, no headers on a GM High-Feature V6, either 1st or 2nd Gen.
Also, the Chrysler Pentastar V6 has integrated exhaust manifolds.

I love how how they say the shaft is "assisted by a guide" when it's just dangling from a wire and he just drops it in under it's own weight haha that's a REALLY precision guide! Sloppy indeed.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
Careful or careless, it all pays the same.
Union job.

I looked at the video of the crankshaft install several times and see absolutely no issues with the procedure. In fact, the brisk setting of the crank may be the correct protocol as it firmly sets the lower crank bearings, so that absolutely no clearance is present between the lower bearing half and the case. I see approximately the same procedure in the crankshaft installation in a $100K AMG. Sometimes we get carried away with what we "know" or think we know. Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
I looked at the video of the crankshaft install several times and see absolutely no issues with the procedure. In fact, the brisk setting of the crank may be the correct protocol as it firmly sets the lower crank bearings, so that absolutely no clearance is present between the lower bearing half and the case. I see approximately the same procedure in the crankshaft installation in a $100K AMG. Sometimes we get carried away with what we "know" or think we know. Ed

Seat the bearings with the crankshaft? That's hilarious! Sounds like something GM would do to streamline their process and cut one more job. Sorry, but that crank bounced when it was dropped on the bearings and is not the correct procedure in any manufacturing process.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Seat the bearings with the crankshaft? That's hilarious! Sounds like something GM would do to streamline their process and cut one more job. Sorry, but that crank bounced when it was dropped on the bearings and is not the correct procedure in any manufacturing process.

And how many bearing failures are reported because of this? Heck, just give me the total bearing failures.

How can a procedure be improper and result in a properly assembled and functioning component with a 6 sigma repeatability? Please explain how such a thing is possible.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: redhat

Nope, no headers on a GM High-Feature V6, either 1st or 2nd Gen.
Also, the Chrysler Pentastar V6 has integrated exhaust manifolds.

I'm not sure what generation LY7 ( HF V6 ) is in my G8, but lots of guys claim to be running headers on them. I think they use the headers for the 2010 Camaro, similar to these:

http://pacesetterexhaust.com/2010-camaro-long-tube-headers.aspx

Pretty sure shorties and mid tubes are also available or used to be. My car is not here at the office, but best as I recall, the stock manifolds on it are cast iron shorties.

BTW, I didn't see anything wrong with the manufacture of that engine. Looked near foolproof.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

And how many bearing failures are reported because of this? Heck, just give me the total bearing failures.

How can a procedure be improper and result in a properly assembled and functioning component with a 6 sigma repeatability? Please explain how such a thing is possible.

Probably as many reported failures as torn Purolator engine failure reports. There's some who believe that torn filter media and ADBVs are perfectly fine also and will still use them but, I won't be one of them.

The silence is deafening from our engine experts here...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The silence is deafening from our engine experts here...

No doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back