New M1 filters at Walmart $10 and good for 20k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me just pile on here. FRAM Ultra will have new packaging out mid march with 20,000 mile change interval and there will not be a disclaimer about 20k or once a year. There have been minor improvements to be able to reach this goal. The M1 filter is still only a cellulose/synthetic blend but I must admit, it has alot of steel in it. Built like a racing filter.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Let me just pile on here. FRAM Ultra will have new packaging out mid march with 20,000 mile change interval and there will not be a disclaimer about 20k or once a year. There have been minor improvements to be able to reach this goal. The M1 filter is still only a cellulose/synthetic blend but I must admit, it has alot of steel in it. Built like a racing filter.
Glad to hear from Jay on these-as I posted in another thread, the xB in my sig recently completed a 19,600 mile run on an (oversized for my 1.5) XG3600-it looked like it could have gone ANOTHER 20,000! The Mobil 1 & the Bosch Distance Plus (IMO) have always been like "twin brothers by different mothers"-VERY strong cans, decent (but could be better) blended media. Not bad, but overpriced for what's inside the can.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
My conclusion: since the Champions Laboratories bankruptcy went final, either they don't make the M1 filter any longer, or Mobil corporate keeps them from being listed on the Champion web site, as they were before the bankruptcy.

Find the customer support phone number on those M1-XXXA filters at Walmart. Call it up, and ask the person that answers if they are still Champion Labs. They were about 2 months ago- I called them and thought I had a louver problem on the center tube of a M1 filter. Once I opened it up I saw that it was more of a optical illusion and the filter was fine.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
My conclusion: since the Champions Laboratories bankruptcy went final, either they don't make the M1 filter any longer, or Mobil corporate keeps them from being listed on the Champion web site, as they were before the bankruptcy.

They definitely still look like Champs to me. Same exact filter, same Champ dotted yellow date code on top of the can, etc

I left a FU on for 2XOCI's (+-14K) and had a real hard time getting it off. Seems like even with oil on the seal and very light tightening the heat hardens them on like steel.

Good plan - FU are not that expensive and some folks prefer changing oil 5k to 7.5k ... I will never be a record breaker at OCI - but never did the 3k thing when thousands did so ...

That is a customer they would want to keep - I'm not worried- bankruptcy happens ...

As I noted earlier, after looking at multiple WM M1 applications there's no doubt for me they are still Champ Labs made. In addition to the points about dome date code color and format, on some smaller sized applications the Champ made blue (color) button bypass can be seen. Only Champ Labs ever used that design, same as the previous Champ made Super Tech used them. Confident at this point they remain Champ Labs made.

Are they 'exactly' the same as those previously sold at other places? I'd 'imagine'. That said, also mentioned before the WM M1 states on the box, efficiency 4548-12 >30um. Much as the new Super Tech rated @29um wouldn't keep me from buying/using it, same goes for the WM M1. But the current WM M1 price would.

For me the announced M1 20k mile limit is much a do about nothing. Only thing it means for most if not all cars is that if your vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty, then you 'could' be covered by the filter warranty should something catastrophic happen to the engine, caused by the filter. First, good luck proving the filter caused the engine failure/damage. Second, good luck collecting from the filter manufacturer. Lastly, what's the chances of that happening? Very low I'd think.

I suppose for some it might bring added piece of mind to have the 20k on the box. Even with no added box fci length I'd run the generally less expensive FU for 20k miles out of vehicle warranty, especially after my experience with an XG3614 posted here. As noted there at least one member has taken the FU to 20k miles with no issues. But, all one has to do is read this board to see that 'some' (not me) can't get past the idea of running a filter more than one oci, let alone to 20k miles ever.

So I think the blended media M1 is a solid filter, good construction. With the current WM price currently though, just not seeing the ROI as compared to some competitors in the same tier.

As for the HM and BD+ filters that have provided shelf space for the M1, based how they are being closed out with some in separate store locations, it 'seems' in this area as though they are both gone for good. At least from WM.

20k for the new 20k oil - if I go to the Mobil 1 quick lube here and pay for the premium change - Mobil 1 oil and filter and then you decide when to come back ... many non BITOG people do just that. Will some do the 20k ... ? maybe not enough - we will see ... but when the price is right this might move my comfort zone up a few thousand - just not 20k though
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
As I noted earlier, after looking at multiple WM M1 applications there's no doubt for me they are still Champ Labs made. In addition to the points about dome date code color and format, on some smaller sized applications the Champ made blue (color) button bypass can be seen. Only Champ Labs ever used that design, same as the previous Champ made Super Tech used them. Confident at this point they remain Champ Labs made.

Are they 'exactly' the same as those previously sold at other places? I'd 'imagine'. That said, also mentioned before the WM M1 states on the box, efficiency 4548-12 >30um. Much as the new Super Tech rated @29um wouldn't keep me from buying/using it, same goes for the WM M1. But the current WM M1 price would.

For me the announced M1 20k mile limit is much a do about nothing. Only thing it means for most if not all cars is that if your vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty, then you 'could' be covered by the filter warranty should something catastrophic happen to the engine, caused by the filter. First, good luck proving the filter caused the engine failure/damage. Second, good luck collecting from the filter manufacturer. Lastly, what's the chances of that happening? Very low I'd think.

I suppose for some it might bring added piece of mind to have the 20k on the box. Even with no added box fci length I'd run the generally less expensive FU for 20k miles out of vehicle warranty, especially after my experience with an XG3614 posted here. As noted there at least one member has taken the FU to 20k miles with no issues. But, all one has to do is read this board to see that 'some' (not me) can't get past the idea of running a filter more than one oci, let alone to 20k miles ever.

So I think the blended media M1 is a solid filter, good construction. With the current WM price currently though, just not seeing the ROI as compared to some competitors in the same tier.

As for the HM and BD+ filters that have provided shelf space for the M1, based how they are being closed out with some in separate store locations, it 'seems' in this area as though they are both gone for good. At least from WM.
Champ has made awesome filters in the past, the Royal Purple ones being the best example-my big concern is, are they going to join K&N in the "race to the bottom"-and who is going to be the contact in the event something DOES go wrong in 20K (i.e. non-existent Purolator customer "service")?

The box says up to whatever miles or time. If an engine sludges the filter solid in 4k miles, like has been shown here, it isn't the fault of the filter. No win in imaginary court.

ROI of $1?

$9.97 vs $8.97.

Thanks for the laugh.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

....So I think the blended media M1 is a solid filter, good construction. With the current WM price currently though, just not seeing the ROI as compared to some competitors in the same tier.....

ROI of $1?

$9.97 vs $8.97....

Not noted beyond the price difference is the Ultra's use of full synthetic media and being efficiency rated at >20um vs >30um for the M1 for ~$1 less. Meaning, if I am going to WM to buy a filter in that tier, 'for me' the FU would be/is the no brainer choice between the two.

So, 'all things considered' I'm not seeing the ROI as compared to the Ultra spin on filters specifically. Or put another way, at it's current WM price I'm not seeing the value in the M1 as compared to the FU. And that would be similar to the now closed out and similarly designed filter, the BD+ which was sold at WM.

And other than WM pricing, many here are obtaining the FU or Fram Pro Synthetic in lots of 4-6 on ebay for between ~$4.50-6.00 each.

As I noted but not quoted, I'd have no problem using the WM M1, just not at it current WM price.

Good filters, but like the Bosch D+, they are not worth the premium price IMO.

AAP for sure has the "old" ones. You can use promo codes that'll bring them to a normal price too.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

....So I think the blended media M1 is a solid filter, good construction. With the current WM price currently though, just not seeing the ROI as compared to some competitors in the same tier.....

ROI of $1?

$9.97 vs $8.97....

Not noted beyond the price difference is the Ultra's use of full synthetic media and being efficiency rated at >20um vs >30um for the M1 for ~$1 less. Meaning, if I am going to WM to buy a filter in that tier, 'for me' the FU would be/is the no brainer choice between the two.

So, 'all things considered' I'm not seeing the ROI as compared to the Ultra spin on filters specifically. Or put another way, at it's current WM price I'm not seeing the value in the M1 as compared to the FU. And that would be similar to the now closed out and similarly designed filter, the BD+ which was sold at WM.

And other than WM pricing, many here are obtaining the FU or Fram Pro Synthetic in lots of 4-6 on ebay for between ~$4.50-6.00 each.

As I noted but not quoted, I'd have no problem using the WM M1, just not at it current WM price.

The price diff may be even greater if used properly. I know the FU can stay on up to 15k, soon to be 20. What about the M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back