Sunoco about to join the Top Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Soon it will be harder to find non-top tier, i think.

I sure hope you're right! Nothing worse than having to look for a top tier gas station while traveling various regions of the country. I don't like ever having to use halffast (a south Louisiana term) fuel!!

The release didn't say if it would be Top Tier - only that it would meet the Top Tier specifications. That's sort of like some oil labels that say they meet a certain spec but don't contain the official endorsement.

Makes no sense to roll out such a marketing campaign, with a new trademark name, and not make the top tier list. They're doing this for two reasons: 1, to be top tier labeled, and 2, to compete with other brands boasting special high detergent additives. All with one final goal: to make more money $$$. I'm happy, there is a Sunoco right down the street from my parents home in western New York. It's a lot more difficult to find top tier there compared to Michigan.

When your traveling does your car blow up if you have to use one tank of "non top tier" gas?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
When your traveling does your car blow up if you have to use one tank of "non top tier" gas?

No, but I can't sleep well at night unless I know I have extra detergent in my fuel.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

Agreed. I havent noticed any difference in using top tier vs non top tier...not sure if it holds any relevance today.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
The release didn't say if it would be Top Tier - only that it would meet the Top Tier specifications. That's sort of like some oil labels that say they meet a certain spec but don't contain the official endorsement.

If you go to the Sunoco website and click 'ultratech' it shows the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline logo so I'd say it's definitely gonna be part of the list.

Filling up at a non-toptier station once in a while won't hurt. Nor will we notice anything. Over time, if we fill up with mostly lower detergent gas, we can get carbon and varnish buildup. Extra detergent helps to prevent this.

Top tier also won't fix engine problems which causes carbon buildup like excessive oil burn.
It probably won't help much if you driving mostly in the city with stop and go.

But since my Phillips 66 is the same price as Casey's, I fill up at Phillips 66.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Use GasBuddy. You can choose an option to locate TopTier stations only.

Or just go to toptiergas.com

Gasbuddy has been going downhill for quite some time. It is hard to believe that Sunoco is a Dallas based company and there isn't a Sunoco station in the D/FW area that I know of!!! Please advise if there is.

Last edited:
That is awesome news as the only place I fill up is at a Sunoco gas station near me since it's the closest. They just remodeled too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back