Homemade additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and a guy I work with whipped up an additive consisting of heet, gumout all in one, and tcw3 two stroke oil. He showed me some pictures of a piston and it looked quite remarkable. I know these are good additives, but do you think they clean that well? It was over the course of 15000 miles btw. I'm using it and noticing a slight mpg increase.

Originally Posted By: Birdman476
Heet is made of methanol and a small amount of xylene iirc.

Iso-Heet is isopropyl alcohol, which is generally safer than methanol. They have to add corrosion inhibitors to methanol for it to be suitable in a fuel system. Not sure why anyone really needs to add that stuff when most gas already contains ethanol these days.

1 qt ATF in diesel is my buddies remedy to keep injectors in his trucks forever.

With a pre emissions Diesel I use 50% TCW3 two stroke oil and either power service or Howes diesel additive, usually 1/2oz of mix per gallon.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
1 qt ATF in diesel is my buddies remedy to keep injectors in his trucks forever.

ATF can actually hurt lubrication properties in diesel fuel. He's possibly making it worse!

Originally Posted By: Linctex

ATF can actually hurt lubrication properties in diesel fuel. He's possibly making it worse!

Over 300k in a 6.7 and 400k in a 5.9 says that it doesn't. On a scientific lab level, I don't doubt it, in practice it has worked out well.

My current frankenbrew for the Chevy is TC-W3, Marine (blue) Sta-Bil, and Xylene. Right around about 11:1:1, respectively. Works pretty well. I've been using TC-W3 in it for a long time.

I don't typically use additives in the Mazda, though sometimes I dose a bit of Sta-Bil or Gumout Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

Over 300k in a 6.7 and 400k in a 5.9 says that it doesn't. On a scientific lab level, I don't doubt it, in practice it has worked out well.

I read the independent study that showed it was one of the most cost effective ways to add lubricity to ULSD when compared to about 20 other regularly available additives.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Why add anything to diesel when a lubricity addative is added at the terminal the fuel comes from?

Do you know that for a fact ? I realize its supposed to, but who knows for sure. I thought the fuel I bought from Speedway a couple years ago was treated also but my truck on the flatbed the next day said otherwise. Its cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon

I read the independent study that showed it was one of the most cost effective ways to add lubricity to ULSD when compared to about 20 other regularly available additives.

What is the consensus on quart ATF to a full tank in regular gas?

Giving what, in percentage? 1% is Too much? Half percent is enough?
I used pale oil, it has a mix of naphtenic and parafinics, that combined with the aromatics in fuels, give all kinds of oil molecules to feed the engine, rsrsrsrs.

Originally Posted By: pacc

What is the consensus on quart ATF to a full tank in regular gas?

The phos adds will eat your cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back