2008-era Chevy spare keys - Dealership only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Chevy Suburban and recently ordered two spare keys and key fobs. I've got the fobs programmed and they work great. I took the spare keys to Home Depot the other day to have them cut. The gentleman key cutter told me he was happy to do it but that since they're chip keys, that I really should have the dealership cut them. He was concerned that I might cause myself a lot of problems if I tried to use chip keys that he cut.

I appreciate his concern but his advice runs counter to some stuff I've read online. Does anyone have any expertise or experience with this particular year of GM vehicle? Can anyone cut these keys or does a dealership, in fact, have to be involved? Thanks a lot.

My parents 2005 Chevy Uplander has a key with a chip. I had a local locksmith cut it and programmed they key myself. Its been working fine for 3+ years now.

You could have passLOCK or passKEY. If you google image search you might find a symbol on your OE key that 'splains which.

Passkeys can be duplicated at will while passlocks need dealer help. The original version was just a specific ohm resistor that you could check out yourself and buy a $7 blank from ebay.
wink.gif

Know those keys well. At my work we cut them and program them in vehicle. Wouldn't hurt to have dealership do it for you as never hurts to ask

My 2006 Chevrolet can except up to 10 chip keys. A good working key is required to program more keys. The instructions are in the owner's manual.
To program the new key do the following:
1. Verify that the new key has “+” stamped on it.
2. Insert the already programmed key in the ignition
and start the engine. If the engine will not start,
see your dealer for service.
3. After the engine has started, turn the key to off,
and remove the key.
4. Insert the key to be programmed and turn it to on
within five seconds of removing the original key.
5. The security light will turn off once the key has
been programmed. It may not be apparent that
the security light went on due to how quickly
the key is programmed.
6. Repeat Steps 1 through 5 if additional keys are
to be programmed.

GM circle + keys are a piece of cake. Just put your original key in the ignition, turn the switch to "on," wait for the security light in the cluster to turn off, remove the key, put the new key in, turn the switch to "on," wait for the security light to turn off. Repeat for your second duplicate and you're done. Both new keys will be added.

I have heard of some aftermarket keys not staying programmed to the car somehow, but it seems to be an unusual problem with cheap keys from questionable sources. Probably the resistor or whatever is in the cheap key goes bad. Anything made by Strattec or any major key manufacturer should be trouble free.

No reason to use the dealer for this.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
At some point GM switched to a laser cut key. Ford started using them in the 2011-12 range. We have to order them from Ford precut.

GM started using them in the late 2000s on certain models, and they have been rapidly increasing their use since the 2010 Camaro. Even the Express vans have the laser cut keys now.

We used to have to order them, but have a machine for them now. What sucked is the company who sold us the machine didn't really know anything about how to set it up or use it, so we basically had to teach ourselves with YouTube videos. It can do edge cut keys too, but it's such a pain in the [censored] to change bits that we kept the old, worn out edge cut machine around. The bits are also expensive from the supplier. I have found them on eBay for less, but it's a lot easier to just write a PO to the overpriced supplier.

We looked at buying one, but our General Manager killed that idea when he saw how much it costs. Yet he is the one that calls and yells at us because we can't cut them on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back