Oil information needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help deciding which oil to use. Im heading to college and my car won't be driven at all, its gonna be sitting for year and half in Ohio. I want to do one oil change before . Do I use conventional or those high change interval oils for example Mobile 1 EP? What i want to know is will the conventional oil loose its effectiveness over the duration of time compared to high change interval oils?

Last edited:
Use a proper spec conventional oil. Syn oil has certain benefits over conventional oil if the certain benefits will be used. The car sitting will not use those benefits.

Those "high change interval" oils are meant to be used when one drives a lot.. that's what the "long interval" means.

If the car is literally going to be sitting there for a long time with little actual mileage, then really ANY oil that meets the required specs will work.

What Make/Model/year is the car in question?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Use a proper spec conventional oil. Syn oil has certain benefits over conventional oil if the certain benefits will be used. The car sitting will not use those benefits.

+1
smile.gif

Yeah man I would just put in a good conventional oil like PYB, VWB, Havoline etc.... No need in putting in something like Mobil 1 extended performance.

Make arrangements for your folks for someone else to drive it 15-20 miles every 4-6 months....assuming you're keeping adequate insurance on it. Your insurance company might allow several drives per year at minimal expense, especially if it's an adult over 40-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back