home door lock lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you guys recommend for lubricants for a home deadbolt key lock?

Thanks Graham

Last edited:
I've used just WD-40 and it works great for that purpose, might be something better but it's easy to spray in all the right places. Stays smooth and easy for 4-5 years before I seem to need to do it again.

I use 5w30 Mobil 1.

Just kidding, I bought some lock lube at home depot that works great. I think its just liquefied graphite.

If it's clean and free of oils use a dry film teflon. Otherwise some triflow or other penetrating lubricant.

Last edited:
A DRY lubricant, such as graphite, is what I recommend, as it leaves no residue and works perfectly at all times. I spray my locks once per year and they always work silkily smoothly.

Originally Posted By: Bebop367
Fluid Film

This.

I have tried most of the dry lubes in the past and none of them work that well or last that long. I live right on the coast and moist, salty air is everywhere. Locks get dry and crunchy in about 2 years. I found that the dry graphite lubes only work on locks that are clean and already in good shape. Dry Teflon based lubes work a little better but the lock gets crunchy and hard to turn again in a matter of weeks.

The thick, rich, wet lube oils really slick the tumblers down and make the locks operate smoothly again. Fluid film works so well because there is nothing in it to evaporate. Once it works its way into the tumblers and around the key core, the lock is basically lubricated for life. Penetrating oils like kroil and gun oils like CLP work very well but do not last as long as fluid film.

I really like seafoam deep creep for locks. It also works really well on throttle and door window linkages.
Fluid film works nearly as well but the can needs to be a little warmer for it to flow as well as the deep creep.

3 in 1 dry graphite works great. Fluid film has everything stick to it. No big deal for the frame of a truck but I don't want that in my lock.

I've used this for a long time. I recommend it without reservation.

Lock-Ease

In fact, I need to get myself a can. I had the last one for so many years the propellant leaked from the can. One little spray can will last ten years, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back