New Lubes / CLP's You Want To Try In 2017 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
AMC - For lube my needs are (semi- auto pistol) : slide grooves , outside of barrel , inside of slide where barrel rubs , trigger connector / sear. Are you using Corrosion - X in these places ?

Yes.

As I have said in other posts and other threads, don't let the name Corrosion-X confuse you. It is a very versatile, oil based lubricant that also penetrates, prevents rust and drives out moisture. The name "Corrosion-X" is a bit misleading and really does the product no justice.

I use Corrosion-X any place a lubricant oil can be used. From small 22 autos to big M1A rifles, and everything from door hinges to motorcycle chains, to locks, tools and knives. Any place you can use oil based lubrication or rust protection, you can use Corrosion-X and it works well.

Originally Posted By: billt460
You have to remember a lot of this is advertising. Very good advertising, but advertising none the less. Reminds me of the Saturday morning Infomercials for fuel additives...... "Tune's your car WHILE you drive!"

That maybe the case but I have not found a better general purpose lubricant or rust preventative oil than Corrosion-X. I have yet to find ANY of their claims false at this point either. I attempted to reproduce both the thread climb and waterproofing electronics videos seen on the page linked below and both actually worked.

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html

AMC : I usually use a needle oiler for pinpoint application to firearms lube points . How do you use Corrosian - X when it appears to just come in a spray can ? I'd hate to waste it ...

I use it in a needle oiler or the trigger spray bottle that it comes in works well. I do keep a can of the aerosol handy for the places aerosol comes in handy, automotive door hinges, chains, locks, etc.

This is probably the best price and best place to get it right now. Less than a dollar an ounce!

https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Technol...rds=corrosion+x

If you don't want to order it, boating supply stores and some ace hardware stores carry it. My local Ace hardware has a small can of the aerosol in stock.

I plan to mix up some eds red or a take on that. I'll add the lanolin or perhaps fluid film in lieu of fancier lanolin...

Use that and ballistol on everything.

I have some new mpro7 I bought in 2017. Will try that.

I also bought a can of Hornady sure shot to use on something...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I plan to mix up some eds red or a take on that. I'll add the lanolin or perhaps fluid film in lieu of fancier lanolin...

Use that and ballistol on everything.

I have some new mpro7 I bought in 2017. Will try that.

I also bought a can of Hornady sure shot to use on something...

One Shot seems to be a great rust preventer, not sure about everything else though. I use it for that purpose. It looks, acts, and feels like a wax in suspension. Reminds me a bit of chain wax in a way.

That's my opinion of One Shot also. If a little is left in the bore upon ignition, the bore becomes sticky.

I once tried it at the range as a swabbing agent, when using my muzzleloader. What a mistake that was. It became more and more difficult to load both sabot/bullets and conicals.

I went back to using either Windex or 70% alchohol in a small spray bottle.

Last edited:
I use one shot as a case lube for reloading and it works well. I didn't even know it was supposed to be used as lubricant for anything else....

There is a new , second formulation of Hornady One Shot for Firearms (not the same as Hornady One Shot reloader / case lube formulation ) .

There's a formulation of One Shot for blackpowder muzzleloader users too. Works fine for cleaning. Just not recommended for swabbing the bore after every 1-2-3 shots at the range.

Another dislike in the blackpowder formulation is the color. It appears as the same color of rust on my patches. That scared the living dickens out of me, the first time I used it.

BTW..... calls to One Shot were never replied-to. I never heard any explanation for it. So after two emails and no replies, I tossed the remaining contents (alot) in the garbage.

A fellow member at modernmuzzleloader.com emailed them also, complaining about the same thing. They never replied to him either.

Last edited:
So far I'm liking Weapon Shield. I was a long time user of Mil-Comm products and G96 CLP. I have currently put 500 rounds each into my new hadnguns using Weapon Shield without any issue: an HK p30 40 S&W and a Sig P226 Legion 9mm.

2d6r33b.jpg

Originally Posted By: GenSan
So far I'm liking Weapon Shield.... and a Sig P226 Legion 9mm.

That Sig needs grease, not oil. Unless you live in the arctic circle. And yes, Weaponshield is one of the better lubes on the market.

I've tried just about every one. The best oil I've found (for pocket carries and compact pistols) is the blue Lucas Extreme Gun Oil.
Thank you board member Ws6 for turning me-on to that one. I like it better than Weaponshield or Slip 2000EWL.

I never use CLP, tried a few kinds and never liked cleaning abilities as well as found them leaving a lot of oily film everywhere.
Ended my quest finding Outers Nitro and keep using it for regular cleaning and M1 10w-30 synth motor oil to oil parts that need oil. Wiping gun dry on outside and keeping in a safe till next use.

For everyday shooters such as an autoloading pistol, I use Slide Glide. Light for the 22's, medium for centerfires.

For shooting in cold weather(under 40 deg), I use 0w30 Mobil 1 in the 22's, Slide Glide light for the centerfires'

For corrosion protection, I use Safari Charlies. Long term protection I use Renaissance Wax applied once a year.

Choke tubes and hinge pins for O/U's, I use Pro Shot Gold in the handy 1 ounce jar. Automatic shotguns get whatever is in my range bag at the time, but mostly Rem Oil or Safari Charlies.

Originally Posted By: Fatboymoe

For corrosion protection, I use Safari Charlies. Long term protection I use Renaissance Wax applied once a year.

Choke tubes and hinge pins for O/U's, I use Pro Shot Gold in the handy 1 ounce jar. Automatic shotguns get whatever is in my range bag at the time, but mostly Rem Oil or Safari Charlies.

My local Lowes home improvement carries Super Slick Stuff which is supposed to be the same thing as safari-charlie. The reviews are good and the price seems good. Care to share your thoughts on it?

When I see them at Lowes, I always buy a couple of cans of the Super Slick Stuff. I can't tell the difference from the Safari Charlies except it cost 2x as much. I bought a case of the Safari Charlies a few years ago so I use it first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back