Why UPS trucks (almost) never turn left

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess when you operate a large fleet, it all adds up...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/16/world/ups-trucks-no-left-turns/index.html

Quote:
By favoring right-hand turns at all times -- unless a left is unavoidable -- the carrier saves millions of gallons of fuel each year, and avoids emissions equivalent to over 20,000 passenger cars.

This must cause some uneven tire wear though.
smile.gif

If they are this cost conscientious, you'd think their shipping rates would be lower...

I recall when this story came out (probably height of the last gas price crunch). I had found I was unintentionally doing the same thing: I had, somehow, reduced my number of left turns as much as I could. Still a few lefts in my commute, but avoiding those turns would add a fair amount of time or miles.

I avoid left turns myself if possible. Not for the fuel savings necessarily. Less risk of getting rear-ended or t-boned where I live.

I live in the mountains so tire wear is worse here anyway.
smile.gif

When I had a paper route I plan my route so I can make my left turns in less busy streets and intersections. Not for the MPG but for the sake of my sanity lol. I would get 4.5MPG in a 15mi route with 70 stops.

I try to do the same whenever I have to drive into one of the larger towns. I'll plan my route and stops so that I minimize the number of left turns, or can make them at traffic lights with a left turn lane/dedicated light. I almost never make an uncontrolled left turn in any sort of traffic.

Out in the rural areas it's a different story-the UPS truck out here frequently makes left turns, but there's almost no waiting and no traffic to be a safety issue.

I've either seen this information on tv before or read about it. Occasionally when I'm waiting for an extended time to make a left, brings it to mind. Not surprised UPS studied it and puts it to use.

Not sure if it's current info, but they used to swap the engine starter at each oil change.
Basically to avoid having a truck stuck on the route due to starter failure.
It's policy to shut off the engine every time the driver dismounts.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Not sure if it's current info, but they used to swap the engine starter at each oil change.
Basically to avoid having a truck stuck on the route due to starter failure.
It's policy to shut off the engine every time the driver dismounts.

According to a UPS mechanic I talked to on a recent cruise-he said the starters get switched out monthly. He also says after 20 years the trucks are sent to the crusher. They are not resold to any one.

Originally Posted By: CKN
According to a UPS mechanic I talked to on a recent cruise-he said the starters get switched out monthly. He also says after 20 years the trucks are sent to the crusher. They are not resold to any one.

Interesting tidbit that is news to me. Are all the trucks manuals? Not sure if that came up for not.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Interesting tidbit that is news to me. Are all the trucks manuals? Not sure if that came up for not.

Nope. I see both manual and auto.

When I met my wife 15 years ago, she told me her father didn't make left hand turns unless there was a light with a left turn arrow. I thought it was a bit eccentric but then I heard about UPS drivers when i mentioned the no lefts to a friend at work and she told me husband who drives UPS semis doesn't turn left turn either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
When I met my wife 15 years ago, she told me her father didn't make left hand turns unless there was a light with a left turn arrow. I thought it was a bit eccentric but then I heard about UPS drivers when i mentioned the no lefts to a friend at work and she told me husband who drives UPS semis doesn't turn left turn either.

Doesn't make sense. Lets drive around the block make 4 right turns to avoid a left.

In my great grandmother's last days of driving, she basically only made right turns. She could get to the grocery store without making a left. Then when leaving she could go a back way where the only left on the drive back home was pulling into her driveway.

She got faster as she got older, so my great-uncle made a proposal to buy her car because he "needed an extra car" and she agreed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back