Valvoline SYnpower 5w-20 vs Mobil 1 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the key differences between these 2 oils, I drive in city conditions a lot of short trips, stop and go kind of thing, Engine is a 07 Honda 3.5, as far as I know no issues, have been using full synthetic since around 45k. Will be taking off a Fram top of the line and putting in a new fram top of the line ( last one was on for 2 oil changes) .

I plan on draining this fill at around 30 percent OIC and putting in Mobil 1 EP 5-20, as this oil should be at 30 percent right around the end of MAy or June, and like the added protection of the EP over the summer months when the car is used on tghe hwy a lot far from home, and I may not be able to change it on the MM recommended OCI.

I got a bunch of Valvoline Synthetic 5w20. I used it last oil change in the Dodge RAM 2500. 15 mile trips all week, short trips occasionally towing. Its speed for 5w20 but I usually use 10w30 in it. It never used oil between 5000 mile changes. I checked it the other day at 2200 miles and it was down a quart. So now I am not a fan of Valvoline Synthetic or 5w20. Going back to 10w30. I ve used Mobil One in the past. Never a issue with it. Just my experience.

Not saying anything bad about your experience or what you should do etc but I have often read that you need to do a few oil changes on one grade/brand before passing judgement about oil useage, fuel mileage etc

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
I'm looking for the key differences between these 2 oils, I drive in city conditions a lot of short trips, stop and go kind of thing, Engine is a 07 Honda 3.5, as far as I know no issues, have been using full synthetic since around 45k. Will be taking off a Fram top of the line and putting in a new fram top of the line ( last one was on for 2 oil changes) .

I plan on draining this fill at around 30 percent OIC and putting in Mobil 1 EP 5-20, as this oil should be at 30 percent right around the end of MAy or June, and like the added protection of the EP over the summer months when the car is used on tghe hwy a lot far from home, and I may not be able to change it on the MM recommended OCI.

Key difference is about 6-7 dollars in price. I can find Valvoline on sale or instant rebate at Meijer for 17 dollars many times.

Also, I change my oil at 7K-max. So I have no need for long drain oils, or oils like Mobil-1 that I can never find at 17 dollars.

..... and no, I never do mail-in rebates.

I have read in various posts, that to SOME engines/cars a high calcium/sodium number does have a detrimental effect????

But trying to use the BITOG search I have grown frustrated.

Anybody know the theory behind that statement? Something to do with contaminating the cats?

I'm trying Synpower for the first time in my Impala. Seems great so far, no NVH issues.

The only syn that ever did everything different is M1 which was louder in the top end. Probably meaningless as well, I'd run it again.

Last edited:
For the same price, M1 any day.

But Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower and frequently on sale for $3/qt, which is a great deal for people that follow mfr-spec OCI and not doing extended drains.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
Originally Posted By: dubber09
IMHO, Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE may be a better choice in this case.

Why?

The oil isn't clearly labeled as extended OCI one but it is and with the additives pack it has is a good choice for somewhat extended OCI while keeping engine clean. It's well suited for hot summer runs with extra load in the car too.
Check the UOAs on the oil.

M1 and Synpower have radically different add packs, as everyone already knows.
I'd prefer any flavor of M1 for longer drains.
OTOH, we do have a long-time engine builder here who reports that he sees both very clean internals and very low wear on engines that have been run on Valvoline.
Valvoline also advertised 4X better wear performance in a standard test as compared to M1 several years ago and XOM never disputed that.
Pick you poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back