2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost - 28,618 Mi, M1 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA on my 2016 Ford F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Oil is M1 5w30 with a Motorcraft FL-500S filter.

Nice to see another EB without fuel dilution. Do you remember what your oil life monitor was at when you changed the oil? Mine was at 43% after 4,4xx miles, but I had a fair amount of idling on the oil. By my numbers, 7,500 miles should take you pretty close to 0%.

Also, what fuel do you run (premium or regular)?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.
8.16 cSt at FP 370F, my hunch is fuel dilution in action.
blush.gif

I don't think I'd follow their recommendation to stretch the OCI to 7,500 miles, based on those viscosity numbers. I think 6K miles would be the most I'd run that oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Ford needs to move these engines to ACEA A3/B3 B4 until they address these issues.

Agree with you, but corporate bean counters won't allow that to happen, as yet ... in the shadows of CAFE monster.
Engineers (in Ford) seem does NOT have the final say unfortunately.
So much for ..follow the manual crowd.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm planning to stick to 5k intervals. I can remember what the OLM was at. I'm thinking it was at around 40%

Last edited:
Good fo hear about the gas grade. I never understood how it might affect blow-by, but I'm not an engine guru.

Thanks for the info. Another great data point

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I don't think I'd follow their recommendation to stretch the OCI to 7,500 miles, based on those viscosity numbers. I think 6K miles would be the most I'd run that oil.
This^^^^

I just run 5k OCI on ecoboost - that way the money I'd send Blackstone goes towards the next oil cost instead ...

I've done 7.5k 8.5k and 9.5k and my oil is doing well. I have another UOA at 10k inbound.

So you can go greater than 5k on an EB contrary to popular opinion
smile.gif

EB UOA Link

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I've done 7.5k 8.5k and 9.5k and my oil is doing well. I have another UOA at 10k inbound.

smile.gif

EB UOA Link

I think we're finding the EB motor is especially hard on oils. Your Castrol UOA looks good, but M1 doesn't seem to hold up well enough in this engine to run a full cycle. Plus, fuel dilution is a factor.

Blackstone comments are not panic mode to me ... but not a bad place for an oil change ...

Originally Posted By: Onug
Originally Posted By: BeerCan

smile.gif

EB UOA Link

I think we're finding the EB motor is especially hard on oils. Your Castrol UOA looks good, but M1 doesn't seem to hold up well enough in this engine to run a full cycle. Plus, fuel dilution is a factor.

yes I think I got lucky with this one WRT fuel dilution. My last EB diluted ~3% or more every change. Though my last sample did smell of fuel, well see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back