Exide Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought an Odyssey a few weeks ago for the wife's car. Jay Leno would never steer me wrong, right?

robert

Some years ago I put a Exide in my truck. Supposed to be some high CCA. Had some Nascar sticker I think on it. In only a couple months it leaked near the bottom at the seam, a lot. Went out one morning and nothing, that's when I found the leak.
I took it back from where I bought it to get something other than Exide. I carried it in in a box with a bunch of rags under it. The counter fellas told me to go and place it in back where batteries were on pallets. Those were the bad/return batteries. I took a look and noticed a bunch of Exide batteries. Since then, no more Exide for me.
All the sulfuric acid didn't do my truck any good.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
So where do you buy these East Penn/Deka batteries from?

Sam's and Batteries+ (Duracell)
Napa
O'Reily

Thanks guys. No more Excides for me after all the negative stories. And again not happy with JCI either with all the white gunk on the tie down. In that regard the JCI is worse than the Exide.

Never had an Exide until this past summer. Its their AGM model. Bought it at Menards pretty reasonably for an AGM. Guess I'll see if I have problems like described here; so far, no.

With labels like Energizer and Duracell, Keep in mind there can be regional differences as to who makes what for whom under label X or label Y.

I had one Exide Nautlius Marine battery group 27, about 12 years ago. It was my last.

It actually handled abuse pretty well, considering it almost always spewed electrolyte out the caps and down the sides when absorption charging. I got rid of it for that reason, before its capacity was so compromised to keep using.

Every Johnson Controls battery I ever had (with various brand names attached) leaked and made the green or white "fuzz" prolifically. The Exide I bought for $40 at Rural King in 2013 did not, in the same car.

I've had 14 Johnson Control batteries throughout the years. Predictable in failing in 3-4 years and nothing but corrosion and weak starts. Had Deka before also . They honored their warranties no matter what. Good customer service from beginning to end but never had one last more than 3 years even with refilling distilled water on a regular basis. They usually reimbursed me with a check and discontinued the battery series even with the ac delco . Exide makes Bosch right? It is on the 4th year and still running strong but with regular trickle charging now. Had Exide AGM Orbital but sold the truck before it had problems in 3 years of having it. No problems either. Bought a Exide size 24F but it is only 3 months old but none of the exides have problems with corrosion or weak starts like the Johnson Control ones did.

In terms of a starter battery, the Battery temperature in its location, and the ability of the vehicles voltage regulator to return battery close to or to 100% state of charge, have more effect on battery longevity compared to whomever made it.

Lots of battery terminal corrosion issues are caused by overtorquing of the battery post clamps.

Automotive posts or threaded studs exiting the tops or sides of btteries, are secured Only within plastic but, admit it, how many of you torque the post clamp nuts as if you were applying torque to Metal?

How many have ever used a torque wrench and know how much 220 inch pounds actually is?

Odyssey's group 31, AGM says max of 220 inch pounds. That translates to 18.3 foot LBs.

Pretty easy to exceed that with a simple open ended wrench and compromise the plastic. really the moment the post clamp is tight engouh it cannot be rotated by hand it is tight enough, and how many reading here, torque it as if it is a spark plug??

The Stud/terminal corrosion Likely, can be blamed on overtightening, in a high percentage of cases where this is a complaint by the end user.

18.3 foot pounds Max, on one of thehighest qualuty AGM batteries available, which uses silicon bronze posts, not super soft Lead, like most flooded starting batteries.

Perhaps Battery manufacturers need to print maximum torque values On their stickers in bold letters. Or mold them into the casing near the terminals. It would seem it would reduce warranty returns, and perhaps prevent Internet rumors from destroying a Brand.

Yep, most people crank them down way too tight. Ive NEVER had a battery corrode on me. Toyotas always corrode the tie town. This is why bottom tie downs are better.

Thanks everyone for the input. I may just go get a AZ or Interstate battery. I have a 24F battery

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back