Recommendation on bulk P/S fluid for Honda/Acura

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to purchase a bulk amount of P/S fluid to do a flush on the power steering system of my Accord.

I have done drain and re-fills in the past, but would like to put the feed hose off of the P/S reservoir into a bulk container of new clean fluid, start the car, and turn lock to lock until fluid comes out clean -- draining into a container for disposal. Then re-fill the bottle with new clean fluid and call it a day.

I also am a fan of the Lubrigard PS additive. Probably will add a bottle of that.

Anyone have any recommendations on fluid, or a location to buy Honda/Acura in bulk? I'd hate to buy tons of little bottles.

The most reasonably priced and equally usable Honda/Acura PSF is Prestone for Honda/Acura applications found at WalMart. Comes in 12oz bottle, but if that's an issue for your method, clean out a clear milk jug or something similar to use for multiple bottles. Currently showing $2.58 12oz bottle.

I've used Prestone H/A PSF on an 01 Civic still with original pump to 07 Accord also with original pump. Works fine ime.

Might be best to get the Prestone Honda/Acura stuff from Walmart. Probably will clean out a milk jug.

Honda/Acura Prestone is $.21 a ounce from Walmart. Probably the cheapest around.

I did the same procedure when replacing my pump on the Honda Accord and used Prestone with Lubegard protectant. The steering is excellent.

Wont take much to drain out a P/S reservoir. Maybe half a quart. What Id do...is use any ATF..like the prestone stuff and drain it through since its going to waste anyways and get 1 container of the Honda OEM stuff last so you end up having only the OEM stuff in the reservoir (in use)

Why bulk? I would just change the fluid, forget the flush. The PS is a true hydraulic system with basically no wear contaminants getting in.

Most cars at the boneyard never had the PS system touched.

I buy 5-6 bottles from the dealer for a single flush of Honda p/s system. Its not very expensive and you can ask for small discount.
I always use the method OP described, return hose into recycle container and refill fresh fluid into reservoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back