Iphone updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I do an OS update on my phone, it screws things up on the phone. Two updates ago the update screwed with all of the sound settings on my phone. I could actually hear the phone turning down the volume of the ring tone whenever I'd get an incoming call, and it did so all by itself. Now after this latest update I did about 2 weeks ago, the phone keeps telling me to enter my Apple/email password, however, it won't accept my password and I know for a fact I'm entering the correct password. Apple is absolutely no help as you must enter your password to get help from them on the website...without it they say they will send you a text in a few days with instructions on how to reset your password. It's been a week and I've received nothing. This has gone beyond ridiculous. Any suggestions?

To reset your password, try iforgot.apple.com

How do you do the updates? I know many people have done them OTA, but I still prefer to plug into a computer.

You can also plug into a computer, backup and restore from that backup. This tends to fix a lot of Apple problems.

I learned my lesson long ago and swore to never ever again do updates on my iPhone for exactly the types of things you're describing. Never once has an "update" improved something I actually use, and most of the time it messed something up, the final straw being it became so slow that I finally just bought a new phone. I was never able to retrograde anything back to where it was, Apple certainly doesn't support going to an older version and does everything they can to block that.

Sorry I know that doesn't answer your question. If somehow you can get back to where you were my advice would be delete every update you get; so you don't keep getting pestered do: settings, general, storage, manage storage, and delete to IOS update you see listed. Then it's gone until next time they cram a new update onto your phone, then rinse and repeat the above. Since I've been doing this I've it's been way, way better all around.

FYI I didn't realize until I read it somewhere that they push out the updates onto your phone without you even knowing it, it just sits there until you actually activate it, taking up space and pestering you in the meantime. That notification you get makes it sound like it hasn't actually downloaded anything but that's not the case. At least that's how it's been explained to me.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Aren't updates fixing security glitches, software bugs, etc?

I guess after using Windows for years I'm used to computers just slowly getting, well, slower as they age. It's how they get you to update. Well, maybe not so much them as much as consumer demand--everyone wants that nicer interface, more features, etc.

Not sure what the target lifespan of a phone is but I doubt it's meant to last more than a few years.

Sounds like you have a defective/lemon of a phone, or a really old one. Which version?

I have always done all of the updates on my iPhones/iPads and have never had a problem.

Previously I've had an iPhone 5s and 2 5c's. I've had iPad minis previously as well.

Currently my iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro. Never ever a single software issue.

Our iPhones and ipads get there updates all the time not once has it caused a issue.
21.gif

I have a 6S+, so not an old phone at all...sometimes I think these updates are meant to screw up your phone so you have to replace it...I was finally able to get Apple's customer support on the phone and they were able to straighten everything out, but I shouldn't have to go through all this garbage every time I do an update...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
I have a 6S+, so not an old phone at all...sometimes I think these updates are meant to screw up your phone so you have to replace it...I was finally able to get Apple's customer support on the phone and they were able to straighten everything out, but I shouldn't have to go through all this garbage every time I do an update...

Did you even read my post?

Additional question, what did Apple do to straighten it out?

I find the same to happen when I (used to) update apps. Screws everything up. When a software update is required, I make sure to do it through the computer. It's helped a little bit.

The answer is-have a really old iPhone (my personal one is a 4)-they don't push out updates for the old ones anymore! It actually is faster than my company iPhone 6!

This is bizarre, as we've had no issues with our devices, which run the gamut from a 5C through to a pair of 6S's with a few iPad's and the like in between.

The idea of avoiding an update which may have extremely important security fixes out of fear seems a bit silly. Additionally, it sounds like something was buggered up with your Apple ID, which I would posit had nothing to do with the device.

These updates are not released to force your device into obsolescence, if that was the case my son's 5C would have become junk quite some time back. The updates are released to:

A) Add new features/improvements. These are usually release updates corresponding to a major or minor version
B) Patch holes, add increased security, fix vulnerabilities. These are the sub-version # updates like 10.2.x for example. The most recent being 10.2.1.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

Did you even read my post?

Additional question, what did Apple do to straighten it out?

Yes I did, and I actually tried that. Apple's website told me I would receive instructions on my phone as to how to rest my password, and the process would take a few days. That was over a week ago and I never got the message. When I called today the lady I spoke to forced a pass code to text to my phone, I entered the pass code, and reset my password...

My iPad Mini slowed down in the last year or so, under the updates. There's one last one it wants to get; not sure if I'll let it. It's simply too old to bother, basically no longer supported. Stuff does get too old to bother with.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is bizarre, as we've had no issues with our devices, which run the gamut from a 5C through to a pair of 6S's with a few iPad's and the like in between.

The idea of avoiding an update which may have extremely important security fixes out of fear seems a bit silly. Additionally, it sounds like something was buggered up with your Apple ID, which I would posit had nothing to do with the device.

These updates are not released to force your device into obsolescence, if that was the case my son's 5C would have become junk quite some time back. The updates are released to:

A) Add new features/improvements. These are usually release updates corresponding to a major or minor version
B) Patch holes, add increased security, fix vulnerabilities. These are the sub-version # updates like 10.2.x for example. The most recent being 10.2.1.

I was being facetious by saying updates were meant to make phones obsolete, but you'd think they could make these updates so they don't screw around with, or change the settings a person has in their phone...what is the point of that anyway? If I want the settings in my phone changed, I'll do that myself.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I was being facetious by saying updates were meant to make phones obsolete, but you'd think they could make these updates so they don't screw around with, or change the settings a person has in their phone...what is the point of that anyway? If I want the settings in my phone changed, I'll do that myself.

Tell that to Windows while you're at it. I'm still miffed at Win7, when it would reboot whenever it wanted to.

I have had iPhone 4s,5,6 and now 7 and never issues with anything including upgrades.

You are likely the minority and hopefully never encounter this.

My 4S was clearly worse after being updated over the years. So much so that I picked up a 6S a month ago to replace it. The difference in performance is beyond ridiculous. The 4S was a brick and took insane amounts of time to browse on 4G and failed miserably at mapping routes. My wife's iPhone 5 could find her location and plot a map/course before my 4S even fully opened the map application.

I firmly believe Apple controls product lifespan with updates and yet I purchased another Apple product as I just don't like other offerings. Sigh, first world problems.

EDIT: Also, not updating can lead to functionality problems. My wife wanted to keep an older IOS on her 5 and it killed iMessage and Facetime functions until she updated.

Last edited:
Interesting. Ive had most iphones since the 3g, and only knce did I have any mess up during an update. Fortunately i backed up prior to the update so just recovered.

My personal iphine I always do a full ipdate via connecting the phone to my Mac by cable. My work iphone only gets OTA updates. Both work perfect.

My wife's iPhone does this [censored] too. Updates are fine until the next one comes out and then her phone starts acting stupid with updates.

We bought a 6S last year, and as soon as the first update hit with the 7, she has had issues with her mic and battery. I've almost got her convinced to switch to a Pixel and Google Fi with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back