Hot water

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of hot water heaters has me wondering. What is it in the tank that corrodes? Steel? I presume so that it doesn't cost a fortune to make? And thus the need for sacrificial anode?

More to my question, what should I be doing for my setup, where my hot water is off the boiler? No tank involved. Only thing it's had is one or two Watt's tempering valve replacements over 12+ years. I'm guessing the heating loop is copper, thus no worries about sediment, corrosion etc? [I do have a whole house filter, which does a good job at catching rocks from the well.]

I think its the heater coil parts, aren't most tanks glass lined?

I have a drilled well in So. NH. I Was thinking about installing a coarse whole-house filter as I get dirt in boiler water makeup valves and wash machine inlet screens and in the toilet tank. What do you have a poly String filter? or something more ambitious?

thanks Ken.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think its the heater coil parts, aren't most tanks glass lined?

I have a drilled well in So. NH. I Was thinking about installing a coarse whole-house filter as I get dirt in boiler water makeup valves and wash machine inlet screens and in the toilet tank. What do you have a poly String filter? or something more ambitious?

thanks Ken.

Forget what I have, came with the house. Once or twice I used one of those string filters, usually I get one that looks more solid.

If you put one in, I'd do the following:
-make sure you have an interior bib valve (spigot) that isn't on the filtered side. Gotta be able to wash out the filter holder (dirt piles up on the inside).
-might want to leave outside spigots on the unfiltered side also
-Look into how its valved. I'm not sure if you "need" valves but a pair of cutoffs, in/out, and a spigot on the filter (between the valves) may be nice.

On mine, I have a shutoff right before the filter. I turn that off, then turn a sink on momentarily. That gets rid of any pressure. Then I can turn the filter off, and remove the filter without pressurized water hitting me. [For some reason, putting my filter to Bypass means that the filter is still part of the pressured loop.] I drop the cannister, rinse it out, put back in. I always have some air in the line after wards, but it goes away quickly. I think if I had another valve, and a spigot, I might be able to better bleed that air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back