Careless assembly of a factory Camaro V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video of a factory worker dropping the crankshaft on the main bearings makes me shudder! I've got to think this is not good for the crankshaft or the bearings! The part of the video I'm referring to is about 50 seconds in ( http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/how-its-made/videos/assembling-a-v6-engine/ ) . Contrast this video with the assembly of a Bentley motor ( http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/how-its-made/videos/bentley-engine/ ) and its a different level of care. Yes...I know the Bentley is radically more expensive, but it's still surprising to me how "rough" the Chevy workers are when assembling a motor.

I've watched a video of Porsche factory workers assembling their motors, and it's a very different level of care.

Is it my imagination, or are the V6 workers a little careless with their assembly?

Ed

Do I care enough about the product I'm building to do it properly?

If that's how the engine builders conduct themselves I would imagine that all other employees display a similar level of diligence.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

Is it my imagination, or are the V6 workers a little careless with their assembly?

I've seen tons of "Detroit" car assembly videos.
It's the result of Union Labor instilling the idea that these guys can't get fired, even for doing a [censored] job.

When you go to places where employees are held accountable for their actions, they take more pride and care in their work. It's as simple as that.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I've seen tons of "Detroit" car assembly videos.
It's the result of Union Labor instilling the idea that these guys can't get fired, even for doing a [censored] job.

When you go to places where employees are held accountable for their actions, they take more pride and care in their work. It's as simple as that.

Labour Union or not isn't the case here.

If you care, you do it properly. If you don't, you don't. No amount of unionism can change that.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was in the market for a new car that's in the Camaro category (whatever category that is)...I don't think I'd buy a Camaro! Oh sure, I'll bet other assembly lines are similar, but having assembled a few engines in my life, I'd freak out if I dropped the crankshaft as hard as this machine does!

Ed

Maybe it's just me, but if I was in the market for a new car that's in the Camaro category (whatever category that is)...I don't think I'd buy a Camaro! Oh sure, I'll bet other assembly lines are similar, but having assembled a few engines in my life, I'd freak out if I dropped the crankshaft as hard as this machine does!

Ed

Freaking out aside, are there reports of these engines suffering from problems as a result of this manufacturing practice? I'm guessing GM wouldn't be approving this video for release if it really was an issue.

Sure, we all want our stuff handled with the greatest of care, but nobody wants to pay for it.

Here's one on the Pentastar, doesn't look too bad
21.gif

Not to change the topic of this thread, but;

I worked for a supplier to GM.
The quality of worker ranged from good to bad.
Most people I saw wanted to do a good job and would if trained and had good equiptment.

Then there was one guy (related to Union Executive).
This employee wanted to go to Europe for a couple Weeks.
How does he get the time off ?
Three easy steps:
1) Screw up and get verbal talking to from Boss
2) Screw up again and get written up from Boss
3) Screw up again and get suspended for 2 Weeks.
A lot of planning had to go into this because he wanted to get suspended at just the right time.

That was the exception, most people knew they had a good job and wanted to keep it.

Last edited:
I think you guys are over-reacting a tad. Yes maybe the crank was lowered slightly quicker than some DIY’rs would but I don’t see any damage being done in that particular process.

That crank was lowered perfectly square, didn’t bash into anything on the way down, etc. In fact it might even by partially intentional to make sure the main bearings are pressed down where they need to be.

maybe in the olden days this might be more of an issue because the surface of the engine bearings was much softer. Today the EPA has pulled out the babbit material and lead. So many bearings these days are mostly aluminum.

It's interesting that the factory is investing a lot of money in automating many of these assembly steps. It appears that they can then hire less capable employees to fill in the steps necessary to complete the job.

What's next? A machine that can flip hamburgers, accept orders and give change?

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
It didn't look to me like he dropped it in that hard. especially not enough to cause actual damage.

That wasn't dropping. lol If they listened it said the machine guides it in. He put that thing perfectly square right where it needed to go. better than two people gingerly putting it in then and probably setting it in wrong at first then moving it over a tad.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What's next? A machine that can flip hamburgers, accept orders and give change?

That kind of already exists. There are vending machines that will sell you a hamburger.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
It didn't look to me like he dropped it in that hard. especially not enough to cause actual damage.

I disagree. He dropped that on soft babbit bearings. I have metalized many babbit bearings and the bearing material is easily scratched or dented.

Didn't look that bad to me. I've pulled apart LM7s and been way less careful... they took a [censored] of a lot of abuse after.

Tman220 said:
I think you guys are over-reacting a tad. Yes maybe the crank was lowered slightly quicker than some DIY’rs would but I don’t see any damage being done in that particular process.

That crank was lowered perfectly square, didn’t bash into anything on the way down, etc. In fact it might even by partially intentional to make sure the main bearings are pressed down where they need to be.

maybe in the olden days this might be more of an issue because the surface of the engine bearings was much softer. Today the EPA has pulled out the babbit material and lead. So many bearings these days are mostly aluminum.
[/quot

You are wrong in several ways.

It is only in the imagination of the internet experts that cars, engines and other mechanical devices are being manufactured in lab like environments with workers wearing white coats and cotton gloves, lovingly handling every part.
Reality is much rougher and dirtier than what is show in commercials.

If you guys freak out about this, just watch how your favorite food is made. It isn't by some old geezer, named Schneider, or some old lady's recipe, passed on for generations, that's for sure.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back