why are basic cartridge filters so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction
The cartridge filter on my Camry just [censored] me off every time I have to change it!!! The spin on was usually uneventful. BMW is the only OEM than designed the cartridge filter right. It's on top of the engine, and all you have to do is remove center bolt/cap and change it. It even self drains for zero mess too. Perfect!

BMW is not the only one. My Cadillac CTS 3.6, right on top. Chevy Cobalts etc with the EcoTec - right on top. The list goes on.

Only cartridge filter I used was on my 2009 Malibu with the 4 banger. I used a crescent wrench to take off the cap, it was easier and cleaner than any other OC I have ever done. I have sold the car but have an extra AC Delco filter, if anyone is in the area wants it they can have it.

Another factor is that many of the newer cartridge filters with unique end styles and constuction are still within a 14 year design patent window. Filter makers outside of OEM contract made ones have to either find a work around design that does not infringe on the patent, or go into a licensing arraignment with the patent holder.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Some low selling spin ons are priced higher too.

Look at the PH9688.

Also, look at the price of a VW 2.0 TFSI filter. It might be the most expensive spin on filter found on gasoline engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back