New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Mobil. It's not supposed to be on the shelf until March 13th. The guy was asking me which Walmart you saw it at bc it's not supposed to be released until March 13th. It will be a separate line of oils that are more robust than EP. EP will remain. Website will be updated on the 13th with information on the product. He could not discuss any more about it.

Originally Posted By: buster
I called Mobil. It's not supposed to be on the shelf until March 13th. The guy was asking me which Walmart you saw it at bc it's not supposed to be released until March 13th. It will be a separate line of oils that are more robust than EP. EP will remain. Website will be updated on the 13th with information on the product. He could not discuss any more about it.

Nice. I saw it on the shelf at my Noblesville,IN Walmart on Sunday when I was looking for Mexlife Syn which was out of stock...

That might explain the inflated prices. Probably a department or store manager trying to cash in early before the official release on the dumb money. I was in WMT this morning and it wasn't on the shelves here. My bet is $34.99 will be the WMT price, when they do the official release in a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

That might explain the inflated prices. Probably a department or store manager trying to cash in early before the official release on the dumb money. I was in WMT this morning and it wasn't on the shelves here. My bet is $34.99 will be the WMT price, when they do the official release in a few weeks.

Don't the prices come from Corporate?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Don't the prices come from Corporate?

I would think so. But then why is the product out on shelves before the official launch date in some stores? Wouldn't corporate dictate that too, or did the store manager think out of the box? Or are certain stores testing the product for sales and price ahead of time before they roll it out to all WMT stores?

I remember when I worked at a music store,if you put a cd out before its release date,the label would come yank all their stuff out of your store and fine the store.

More than likely, it was someone who was told to stock the shelves or do the plan-gram not knowing it wasn't supposed to be out until an official date.

Yes, all that stuff is dictated by corporate, but there are a lot of layers in between where things can, and do, get missed. Very rarely is this stuff intentional, because there can be serious consequences.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Thread is worthless without pics.
This is 2017 and everyone has a smartphone, take a pic!
I don't have a smart phone I have a hand me down from the kids.

I don't have a smartphone either, just a DELL laptop
smile.gif

Saw the new stuff today but they only had it in the 5w30. On the front label it says Annual oil. Then on the back it says Guaranteed Protection for one full year or 20k miles. Reg M1 was next to it on both sides and it looked to be the same price at $25~. But it could ring up as more since I didn't look at the fine print on the shelf label.

Interesting stuff. A good bit of PAO I'd imagine, and LOTS of additives to hold the TBN long enough for 20k.

But at that initial price "Annual" is going to be how often they actually sell a jug.
laugh.gif

I think XOM is moving to the "good-better-best" approach for the Mobil 1 line-up. I believe the fine print for the regular Mobil 1 says 1/10k (when OEM warranty does not apply), so it will be interesting to see if EP receives a price increase that is commensurate with its 50% longer service life.

Last edited:
It's always the "up to" part of any guarantee that worries me. "Up to 15,000 miles" or "up to 20,000 miles." Well, will the oil last that long or won't it?

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright
It's always the "up to" part of any guarantee that worries me. "Up to 15,000 miles" or "up to 20,000 miles." Well, will the oil last that long or won't it?

It might.

Although to be less snarky, I do run the current M1 EP out to nearly 15,000 miles in my Accord. My daughter uses that car for graduate school out on the east coast, and that works out to just about how long passes between when I can change the oil for her. So I might be interested in the new variety depending on the price.

Up to likely is in reference to how different platforms are set up, typical operating patterns and fuel delivery systems all factor in just how well a oil will hold up. To really seek 20,000 miles it would be very wise to get a UOA obviously at 10k and then at 15k miles to see if the oil is within its viscosity range, the TBN is strong enough, and that the Tan is not too high either, check for percentage of fuel present, and if there are any other concerns as well. This is why they say "up to" .... A lot of variables there.

Interesting oil, but completely unnecessary.

Very few people run an oil past 10k; and even EP is a very capable oil that could do the 20k this new oil claims under the right circumstances.

Would love to see a UOA - for the 20k parameter, will they stay with a Ca/Mg detergent combo; or, as I suspect, will they go to a majority Ca detergent pack - I think a high-CA detergent pack is needed for extreme OCI survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back