RedLine 5W30, 6k mi OCI, 54.7k mi, Cadillac CTS-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
All winter driving, no track usage. All mileage is in kilometres. Switched out since oil looked black at dipstick inspection. OLM was at 16%.

QNX6z4F.png

What are your previous 2 oil changes? Red Line a thick 5w30 or is it thickening?

Wear numbers look good. These LSAs are kind of low capacity engines, only 6 quarts of oil. I wouldn't feel bad changing it at 16%.

The two UOAs before this one were also RedLine 5W30. No thickening occurred as far as I can tell, it's just thick that way.

As for the capacity issue, I do overfill it a bit since it burns oil at the track, especially as I get faster. However, what concerned me this time is the oil looked really black. I've never seen it like that before and I do regular dipstick inspections. Though, it looks like I overreacted since you can't really tell fluid condition from colour, as they said.

Yah, I did about 30hrs last summer. It was my first season. I went with different BMW CCA chapters and some track clubs. I've been at Mosport, Palmer and Mont-Tremblant. My driving style is getting better apparently since the tires (Michelin PSS) were squealing for the last few events. I also had no trouble passing everyone in my run group. So, this year I'm going to do some suspension changes, track brake pads, and switch to R compound tires to how that goes.

Originally Posted By: Emperors6
The two UOAs before this one were also RedLine 5W30. No thickening occurred as far as I can tell, it's just thick that way.

It is thickening. RL 5W30 is 11.6cst, this is 12.55cst.
You ever seen VOA of that oil? 11.6 is what RL states. Even if there was some error by Blackstone, almost 1cst is too much to be an error.
It would be good to get TAN. RL is Ester, so TAN will be higher then usual, but still wanna know that.

Last edited:
The oil is doing a great job. It seems that Redline works wonders as an oil or sucks based on the posted uoas. It is an interesting oil. I haven't used it for years other than the MTL and the D4 atf in the wife's f250 manual trans . A nice car !!

What was the heavier oil three changes ago?

Also, it looks like virgin should be 11.9cSt as per the Redline site, so it does seem to be thickening due to oxidation a bit. The flash point indicates there is essentially no fuel in the sample.

Of course since this oil has no VII's in it, coupled with the lack of fuel, I'm not sure how concerned we should be about the .6cSt thickening experienced here
21.gif
As we are also reliant on the accuracy of the Redline PDS for virgin and Blackstone's equipment for used. If you are going to continue to use this oil, I would suggest having a VOA done as well to see what the virgin viscosity is as tested by the same lab. That will give you a better perspective on how much viscosity change is actually taking place.

I would also suggest taking a look at sending a sample to TOROMONT CAT, which has free shipping, is in Canada, and you can request TBN/TAN for free.

The first two UOAs in the series were done with Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30 since my mechanic liked to use that. However, right before I started track use I switched to RedLine fluids. I will run a VOA of the oil at the earliest opportunity, since you're both right, specs from RedLine are useless without knowing their testing method. I assume Blackstone uses a slightly different one.

As for TOROMONT CAT, I don't know if switching to another lab is useful since I would need to have some standardized sample I can send so I can figure out how they differ from Blackstone.

Yes, you'd have to send them a virgin sample to test as a baseline if you wanted to switch.

I just find they are a better value, since TBN and TAN are free and they have an excellent turnaround being local.

So for a VOA should I get a TAN or TBN?

Both if you wish. Anything you looking to compare between used and virgin basically.

How do I order their kits?

Any large truck dealer near you should have them in stock, you just swing by and grab one, shipping is pre-paid, you just drop it in the mail.

Okay, so I have two Blackstone bulk samples left. I'll use one for VOA and one for the diff oil when I change it in April. I'll also pick up some samples from Toromont Cat and send the fluids there for comparison as well. Is there a specific part number I should ask for or just the oil sample kit?

Just the oil sample kit. My buddy works at an International dealer, which is where I usually grab mine because they are close to work. I was just thinking if there was an International/Mack/Freightliner/Kenworth/Peterbilt dealer closer to you it would be more convenient, there's nothing wrong with going straight to Toromont either like you've planned.

To get TBN/TAN you just put it on the sheet like "please include TBN and TAN" on the bottom. They will do those extra tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back