Why are car manufactures now blinding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that with those leaving the brights on that as a last resort me turning on all my firepower will dilute the offending glare......

A topic that others agree on from my first post on this topic. Cool! Haha

I have to say that for all three vehicles I have had I switched over to the Hella replacement headlights on my Cherokee years ago when they were only $40 a piece. Then with my Tacoma I put Hella 2.0 performance bulbs and now the same kind of bulbs from Hella for a ram. The 2.0 replacement bulbs.

As for the topic on hand, new cars are a pain to drive into on two lane roads. I've even turned my lights on bright for a second or less just to make the other driver to check their lights if they are on bright.

The genius that thought LEDs are cool for oncoming traffic should be blinded for a two lane stretch for a mile with cars in 150ft intervals ... or a bit more to try to drive safely in their lane in the pitch dark. No other lights from street lights or business signs.

Last edited:
In the theme of this thread, I have factory HID's in the '16 GC with the hi/lo shutter, no separate beams. They are auto-levelling and I've only ever been flashed once, and it was coming around a corner, which was understandable.

Last night, coming home from a friend's place on a dark two lane country road I happened upon what I believe was a Hyundai Sante Fe. I kept typical following distance, but he/she kept speeding up and slowing down, particularly around corners and so I was hoping to find a location to overtake. As we passed through a very dark section, he turned his lights on and off a few times, hit his turn signal and did some other oddities a few times, which gave me the impression he thought I had my highs on. I didn't. I passed him shortly after and he made it a point to turn his high beams on behind me, reinforcing what I had initially assumed. When he turned them back off, I realized he was driving with his fogs on (it was clear) which of course meant he had tons of foreground light, but I also noticed that his low beams were downright awful, which I'm sure was a large part of the issue.

I agree as well, and living on L.I. NY I know exactly what the OP means. As a side note, the headlights in my 08 Liberty and 16 Rubicon aren't bright by any means. I see on the message boards a lot of people upgrading them to a brighter light. I've thought about it, but in all honesty I feel they're good enough for the night driving I do.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Yepp it is not just the "old guys". I'm 21, and driving home at night on roads that aren't lit can be unbearable with the newer cars with LEDs.

There is this long flat stretch road I'm on and there was car at the very end so I turned my high beams off. They had LEDs and I thought the whole time they kept their high beams on. When they got close to me I blipped my high beams as it was unbearable and the flashed their high beams at me back.

Its even worse when you encounter them going up a hill.

+1

I'm 26 with pretty good vision and have the same experience. I'd say they are almost worse than some of the poor HID retrofits in a stock halogen housing. The retrofits are just really blue, the LEDs are blinding to the point where I see dots afterward or can't see the road lines for a split second. This is in the Cherokee which isn't exactly low to the ground, my mom's Fit is even worse.

I believe a lot of it has to do with poor aiming from the factory. Aimed too high and too much in the direction of on-coming traffic. DOT lighting standards are a JOKE. Blind oncoming drivers while providing little usable light shining on the road. My Cherokee has aftermarket H4 Euro-spec halogen housings. Plenty of light on the road with a sharp cut-off that doesn't blind oncoming drivers.
After many years the European E code H4 is still a great system as is the quad lamp system used in so many BMWs.

This is a problem that seems largely confined to American brands.
One sees so many fake SUVS of unibody construction with FWD with lighting better than that used by real dessert runners of only a decade ago.
This is the same marketing thinking that brought us half ton pickups that are so tall, heavy and tough looking, never mind that nobody who knows anything buys a half ton for serious hauling or serious towing.
It's all about making Casper Milquetoast fell like a tough guy on his daily commute.
After all, he's the one making the payments, so he gets what he wants, so long as it's cheap.

I don't think the newer vehicles are using LED headlights but HID systems.

The most blinding vehicles I think are Mercedes with HID systems. BUT, if you own a Mercedes you are the most important person on the road since your in the top 1% who can afford such a car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124
I don't think the newer vehicles are using LED headlights but HID systems.

The most blinding vehicles I think are Mercedes with HID systems. BUT, if you own a Mercedes you are the most important person on the road since your in the top 1% who can afford such a car.

A C-class is around the same price as a Ford Taurus, FWIW.

The F150 I met had the HIDs which I can take as long as they are proper and had a ring of LEDs around the headlights and LED fogs. This was a brand new truck so I assume all was OEM. The LEDs are killers.

So just the limited and such luxury packages have the possibility of being HIDs?

Which brands of cars & trucks are more than likely to have the blinding lights? I'll go to a dealer and ask in person than find the answers online. Maybe some smart salesman or service dept person know.

The obvious blinders would be the higher end cars, true?

HID conversions are ridiculously high as c .... The craze for many pickups and jeeps around here are LED light bars but people are smart enough to not use them on incoming traffic.

Originally Posted By: Surestick
I've noticed the newer GMC Sierra (the one with the projector headlights with the LED "C" around them) seems to be a big offender as far as glare goes.

They are even worse when they are all "bro'd out" with a massive lift kit and the stock aim. I encountered one of those the other evening and sweet Jesus
crazy2.gif

Don't expect any federal action on headlight glare:

Quote:
...Prompted by complaints [about glare], the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conducted a number of studies during the 2000s. The last report issued in July 2008 said, among other things, that "The relation of light levels and glare to crash risk cannot be quantified directly." The report also noted that "Light levels are a compromise. A glare source to one driver is a source of seeing light to another driver."

...When asked about complaints it receives, NHTSA said it "does not keep the number of complaints regarding headlight glare." The agency also said it has no research or rulemakings in the works on headlight glare.

http://www.landlinemag.com/Magazine/2016/MarApr/story/blinded-by-the-light.aspx

I find the worst OEM headlights come from Prius/Corolla/Camry but ESPECIALLY the stupid LED "jewel eye" headlights from Acura. I can't believe those are legal.

If I see anyone with chinese HID kits in their car and they're blinding, I just turn my high beams on at them until they pass. Well, only if there's no other traffic around.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Anti-dazzle and laser lights are currently illegal in the US.

My dealer has an i8 on the showroom floor fitted with the laser headlamp option.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Anti-dazzle and laser lights are currently illegal in the US.

My dealer has an i8 on the showroom floor fitted with the laser headlamp option.

I think what he means by "anti-dazzle" headlights is something similar to Audi's Matrix LED headlamp available in Europe.

There was a road rage incident recently in my area of Idaho, started by a driver in a Chevy S-10 pickup becoming enraged , because the 2015 GMC pickup behind him was lighting up his passenger cabin. The S-10 driver followed the GMC driver to his house, kidnapped him at gunpoint, then shot him later in a wooded area. The S-10 driver got a life sentence for murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back