SuperTech motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Diesel16
Personally all my life I have used Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Pennzoil. All my engines on all the cars I have ever had have been spotless and looked brand new when I ended up getting rid of them. All had close to 200,000 miles on the clock.

What evidence do you have to show that all your engines wouldn't have looked exactly the same using Supertech oil?

There isn't any evidence that ST oil will ruin an engine or have an effect on it long term.

Checked UPC on a jug of SuperTech conventional oil late last year, and in my area it is currently not being made by WPP or Citgo. I plugged the UPC in at Walmart MSDS checker, and it was made by the Delfin Group USA LLC North Charleston, SC, which is owned by Amalie oil company now.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/

So it appears you don't always know who blends it - but if it makes your minimum standards and in some cases OEM specs it has to be similar in all bottles - Doubt the synthetic will go north of GIII base oil - but that's nothing new these days ...

If SuperTech oil meets the specs for your application, run with it. Ignore the "pay a little more for better crowd" as they are just wanting validation for their choices. That argument can be ratcheted up for just about any brand of oil brand with no linear scale of price to quality being of any discernible difference when proper vehicle spec to oil spec is applied.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Checked UPC on a jug of SuperTech conventional oil late last year, and in my area it is currently not being made by WPP or Citgo. I plugged the UPC in at Walmart MSDS checker, and it was made by the Delfin Group USA LLC North Charleston, SC, which is owned by Amalie oil company now.

The AOC marked stuff is at my Walmart too.

I've not seen a PQIA sample on this brand yet.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
If SuperTech oil meets the specs for your application, run with it. Ignore the "pay a little more for better crowd" as they are just wanting validation for their choices. That argument can be ratcheted up for just about any brand of oil brand with no linear scale of price to quality being of any discernible difference when proper vehicle spec to oil spec is applied.

Sorry to tell you but I could care less about validation for the choice of oil I run to tell you the truth. That argument could go the other way as well. Especially for the people running ST oil. Seems they want validation as well for running ST oil. And if you noticed most people on this forum use better oils anyway like Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Kendall, Amsoil, etc.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD1

Amalie is another reputable oil company.... I would have no concerns using their products.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I could care less about validation for the choice of oil I run to tell you the truth. That argument could go the other way too you know. Especially for the people running ST oil. Seems they want validation as well for running cheap oil. And if you noticed most people on this forum use better oils like Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Kendall, Amsoil, etc.....

No bubbles to burst here but thanks for proving my point with your reply of angst and opposition to my statement.

Like most of the BITOG posts here, the bobble heads want to prove some type of my opinion is better than yours when in 99.9% of average users usage, an oil that meets the spec is fine for use when recommend OCI's are involved. So called "better" does not gain you anything for most users other than brand identity.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I could care less about validation for the choice of oil I run to tell you the truth. That argument could go the other way too you know. Especially for the people running ST oil. Seems they want validation as well for running cheap oil. And if you noticed most people on this forum use better oils like Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Kendall, Amsoil, etc.....

No bubbles to burst here but thanks for proving my point with your reply of angst and opposition to my statement.

Like most of the BITOG posts here, the bobble heads want to prove some type of my opinion is better than yours when in 99.9% of average users usage, an oil that meets the spec is fine for use when recommend OCI's are involved. So called "better" does not gain you anything for most users other than brand identity.

I never said it was a bad oil either though. If it meet's spec then by all means use it if you want to. We all use whatever we wanna use. It's the same with filters. Lots of guys in here are using fram filters again. I avoid them. Personally I use Wix, Purolator, Hastings and Baldwin but that's just me. I've had way to many problems with fram filters to ever trust them again. Again that's just me. Use whatever makes you happy.

Last edited:
"Well I know for a fact had I used cheap oil in those engines I would have had a lot of problems."

Show us the facts.

Anyone who says ST just meets the specs obviously doesn't read PQIA. Heck, from the numbers on the add pack, it doesn't miss Amsoil by much.
It's good oil, and will not damage any engine spec'd properly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bchannell
"Well I know for a fact had I used cheap oil in those engines I would have had a lot of problems."

Show us the facts.

Anyone who says ST just meets the specs obviously doesn't read PQIA. Heck, from the numbers on the add pack, it doesn't miss Amsoil by much.
It's good oil, and will not damage any engine spec'd properly.

If that's the case then why isint everyone in this forum using ST oil? I don't need to show anybody facts about anything. I've worked on my fair share of engines that have ran cheap oil and they had lots of problems. These engines also had there oil changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles as well. If ST oil is as good as Amsoil then everyone and their brother would be using it and the big name oil brands would go out of business plain and simple because nobody would be buying them anymore.

Last edited:
Over the past 6 yrs I've averaged $88 a month in vehicle payment. I started out with a 2008 extended cab Silverado 4x4, then a 2012 Z71 crew cab, then a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel.

I bought each vehicle used and got a good deal but I performed excellent maintenance. I logged every oil change, logged the filter and oil type. I logged he mileage when done. I logged the fuel filter replacements. It wasn't hard and took all of five minutes but I'm telling you this to give you some very good advice. Now some of you will say "I'd be happy just seeing xxxxx done not caring what type of oil or filter". Let me tell you something about salesmanship. Complain about the price now all you want but like a QVC commercial I can take 90 seconds and make a sales pitch that instantly gets me more for my vehicle than you ever will for yours. I'll promote that machine and give visual references to back what I'm saying, log book, and I'll make that person quickly understand why my bet is the safe bet and that's why it deserves a premium.

The two Silverado I drove one for three years and one for two. I sold each of them for $3k less than what I had bought them for. My payment on the Jeep, a $37,000 used vehicle when I bought it, was $178 a month because my practices have kept me rolling that equity forward. I won't lie my new truck is just something I've always wanted and is my first new purchase ever so it definitely cost more, hey I work for my money and can spend it how I want, but you can bet your butt I will get a small hard back logbook for $5 and detail each oil change with the date, the mileage of 5k intervals, the brand of premium fluid used, and the top shelf filter. I'll make it so whenever I do decide to sell that person buying will not only just be buying the vehicle but will be paying a premium for the piece of mind.

So people can give a hard time for spending more $$$ but I guarantee I get a heck of a lot more when it's time to sell. With this truck being so expensive I'll even be doing oil analysis and keeping those in a binder. I figure my way of doing it has netted me around $8,000 cash more for what was probably $250-350 more in oil costs. Heck Quaker State ultra endurance (the highest rated 0w20 from what I can find) is $20 for 5 quarts. That's $44 an oil change for me vs $26 for the Cheap-o Wal-Mart brand and filter (that's in my 6.2L v8 mind you). Doing that twice a year is $36 more dollars for actual premium top shelf items. So I guess over say 5 years that's about $180 difference for the pile of benjamins I'll turn it into. I don't see a vehicle as a monetary investment but I take whatever equity I get and keep rolling it over so I'm now sitting in a 2017 GMC SLT. So for those laughing at how I do oil changes at a "stupid" 5k interval and "waste money" on the name brand stuff.... How do you like me now?

Last edited:
Yep-All because the guys who bought your ex vehicles cared about the name brand oil you used.

People driving CERTAIN Hondas and Toyotas get high resale value regardless of what oil goes in to the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Yep-All because the guys who bought your ex vehicles cared about the name brand oil you used.

People driving CERTAIN Hondas and Toyotas get high resale value regardless of what oil goes in to the crankcase.
i can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you. I absolutely ask for records of all maintenance.. When someone is shopping they want to know their future vehicle was well taken care of. I provide that. Just because you don't care doesn't mean one of the 300 million others doesn't. I don't need everyone to care just the person buying. Knowing how to market and sell something is an advantage you should study up on it. When a father is getting his son his first pickup and wants something nice but used he's going to like it when you hand him a small folder showing how well things were taken care of. I wanted $21k, he wanted $17.5. I showed how good of a product he was getting and asked him if any others he had looked at could do the same. I got my $21. It shows discipline, promotes trust, alieviates doubts, and shifts ball more to my court. But like I said for 6 years I went through three vehicles, the last a 2014 Overland edition Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel, and average a cost of $88 a month so the proof is in the pudding. I've never not been in warranty and will bet anything my cost of ownership kicks yours to the curb when you sit down and put pen to paper. But whatever makes you feel better.

Yep - I have even offered up my extreme maintenance records at trade time - and "we don't need that" is all you will get.

If that's the case then why isint everyone in this forum using ST oil? I don't need to show anybody facts about anything. I've worked on my fair share of engines that have ran cheap oil and they had lots of problems. These engines also had there oil changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles as well. If ST oil is as good as Amsoil then everyone and their brother would be using it and the big name oil brands would go out of business plain and simple because nobody would be buying them anymore.

This seems to happen with almost every thread on SuperTech oil is posted. You always have the camp that confuses cheap vs. value. While SuperTech is cheap in price, it offers value when grade,vehicle oil specifications are OCI are matched to it.

Ok here is my take I put 200,000 miles on my V6 Toyota 4 Runner running ST 5,10W30 synthetic then removed the valve covers (leaking) and the motor was spotless with 7,500 OCI. This is also with heavy towing my 5,000 pound camper in the summer. This was the best running smoothest V6 I ever owned so I see nothing wrong with this oil.

Originally Posted By: FlyingTexan
Over the past 6 yrs I've averaged $88 a month in vehicle payment. I started out with a 2008 extended cab Silverado 4x4, then a 2012 Z71 crew cab, then a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel.

I bought each vehicle used and got a good deal but I performed excellent maintenance. I logged every oil change, logged the filter and oil type. I logged he mileage when done. I logged the fuel filter replacements. It wasn't hard and took all of five minutes but I'm telling you this to give you some very good advice. Now some of you will say "I'd be happy just seeing xxxxx done not caring what type of oil or filter". Let me tell you something about salesmanship. Complain about the price now all you want but like a QVC commercial I can take 90 seconds and make a sales pitch that instantly gets me more for my vehicle than you ever will for yours. I'll promote that machine and give visual references to back what I'm saying, log book, and I'll make that person quickly understand why my bet is the safe bet and that's why it deserves a premium.

The two Silverado I drove one for three years and one for two. I sold each of them for $3k less than what I had bought them for. My payment on the Jeep, a $37,000 used vehicle when I bought it, was $178 a month because my practices have kept me rolling that equity forward. I won't lie my new truck is just something I've always wanted and is my first new purchase ever so it definitely cost more, hey I work for my money and can spend it how I want, but you can bet your butt I will get a small hard back logbook for $5 and detail each oil change with the date, the mileage of 5k intervals, the brand of premium fluid used, and the top shelf filter. I'll make it so whenever I do decide to sell that person buying will not only just be buying the vehicle but will be paying a premium for the piece of mind.

So people can give a hard time for spending more $$$ but I guarantee I get a heck of a lot more when it's time to sell. With this truck being so expensive I'll even be doing oil analysis and keeping those in a binder. I figure my way of doing it has netted me around $8,000 cash more for what was probably $250-350 more in oil costs. Heck Quaker State ultra endurance (the highest rated 0w20 from what I can find) is $20 for 5 quarts. That's $44 an oil change for me vs $26 for the Cheap-o Wal-Mart brand and filter (that's in my 6.2L v8 mind you). Doing that twice a year is $36 more dollars for actual premium top shelf items. So I guess over say 5 years that's about $180 difference for the pile of benjamins I'll turn it into. I don't see a vehicle as a monetary investment but I take whatever equity I get and keep rolling it over so I'm now sitting in a 2017 GMC SLT. So for those laughing at how I do oil changes at a "stupid" 5k interval and "waste money" on the name brand stuff.... How do you like me now?

Unless you're also providing receipts for oil/filter purchases, used filters, and/or video of the actual oil changes, you could also use ST dino and filters at 15kmile intervals and still show your buyers the logbooks with phony 5k QSUD 0W20 changes listed.
The logbooks may help with your sale process, but they're actually meaningless without other documentation to back them up. A truly discerning customer would be more likely to be positively influenced by a book of receipts from a dealer, or even Jiffy Lube, showing proof of adequate maintenance.

Yet more anecdotal evidence, I realize, but my friend Laura's 2003 Honda Accord 4-cyl. had 265,000 miles on it when she traded the vehicle recently. It still ran smoothly, and all that car had for more than 10 years was Wal-Mart SuperTech oil and a ST filter changed at regular intervals. I'm not saying I would take that route, but ST seems to perform well if you follow a reasonable maintenance schedule.

This seems to happen with almost every thread on SuperTech oil is posted. You always have the camp that confuses cheap vs. value. While SuperTech is cheap in price, it offers value when grade,vehicle oil specifications are OCI are matched to it.

Nobody is confusing cheap vs value. Like I said a few times already. If you wanna run ST oil and filters and have luck with them then by all means use them. If you wanna have piece of mind and don't wanna have to worry about "what if's" then run something better in it plain and simple. Not saying it's the worst oil in the world and everyone who uses it is bad. Im just saying some people will have more piece of mind using a better oil. That is all. Oh and if you noticed in my post that you quoted I said the engines that had problems ran cheap oil. I never said they ran ST oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back