Outdoor LED Flood Lights??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for advice on PAR 38 LED outdoor flood lamps (90w equivalent+/-). I have protected fixtures that sit underneath the building eaves similar to this:
41iVdlDzBuL.jpg

- There are many brands out there, some as low as $5 each and others at $9 each and up? Any brands to stay away from? Ones with proven track record?

- Some advertise 10,000 hours life, others are over 20,000 hours?

- Color: 3000 Kelvin (warm) vs. 5000 (bright white)?

- Many advertise indoor/outdoor while some advertise "wet proof". Are the wet proof still an advantage in protected fixtures?

Anyone experience and advice on my bolded topics above are appreciated.

I would stick with a major brand like Eaton Cooper Lighting or acuity Lithonia. I bought a set from Home depot or lowes and it wasnt LED. I paid $35 or so. It lasted less than a year.

I'd suggest replacing the whole fixture with one with dedicated LED panels rather than retrofitting the bulbs.

For outdoor night illumination where color rendering is not important the higher color temperature LEDs will give better visibility.

I would like to be educated on an outdoor LED brand name Floodlight that brighten real quickly.

The last one I bought was a cheapie and it literally takes a minute to brighten. I want to try something else.

Last edited:
Cree. I replaced a couple of HD house brand with Cree when the HD house brand went belly up after 2 years. Not fun replacing a light bulb 2.5 stories up.

They're very bright, instant-on, respond to the dimmer in the fixture, have a great CRI, IIRC they're wet-proof, and have a long stated lifespan. The two downsides are the initial cost at almost $20 apiece and how they're now made in China instead of North Carolina. I'd get them again since they're so far excellent.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I would like to be educated on an outdoor LED brand name Floodlight that brighten real quickly.

The last one I bought was a cheapie and it literally takes a minute to brighten. I want to try something else.

What you bought was probably CFL, not LED. LED doesn't need any time to warm up.

I have one similar fixture out by the trash cans behind the shop. It's on a motion sensor and not protected by anything-simply mounted on the exterior wall of the shop so it comes on at night when we carry trash out to the cans. One of the standard bulbs went out about 2 years ago and I replaced them with Hyperikon LED bulbs-probably around 4000K color temperature. They light the area as well as the standard PAR38s did, they've lasted through rain, snow, heat, on/off cycles with the motion sensor without any issues. Mine are designed for outdoor use-a driving rain could force water up into the fixture.

It's not really rocket science-there is a lot of information available on what to look for in a quality LED bulb.

I have 4 of the Ecosmart PAR38 bulbs in my fixtures outside. Two are the bright white, and two are the cool white. All 4 are stupid bright, and all 4 have lived through Florida's rainy season without any complaint.

I don't have them on a motion sensor. They come on at dusk and stay on until dawn. I've had them going for almost a year now. Got them at the HD.

Make sure you get dimmible ones if your fixture has a motion or light sensor. Many fixtures that have a motion or light sensor do not put out a nice clean 60 cycle sine wave electricity, something that a non dimmible bulb requires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back