Do you think Toyota is on to something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tractor trailers don't worry as much with Chevy, RAM, and Ford diesels like I do - those dudes run faster than the C7's around here ...and of course our state troopers say stay in the right lane ... merge that !
Going to hit the road in the rain soon - and happy that GDI-2T AWD can get after the ramps with authority ...

There's no great trick involved in building a hydrogen powered road car and a couple of other makers have already done this.
The trick will be in finding some way of producing huge volumes of hydrogen gas at reasonable cost with minimal adverse environmental impact.
Not there yet and probably won't be until we figure out how to build controlled fusion reactors. We've known how to build uncontrolled ones for decades with those reactors located on the tips of large missiles.

No the trick is Harriet Housewife pulling into a filling station and freezing her hand off trying to fill it ...

If we want to go back to mandatory pump jockey's and full service fuel islands, it'll be cool (no pun intended...). And create entry level jobs and after school jobs. But, those are political decisions, not efficiency decisions ...

I agree in Euro having a leg up on us for efficiency. There are so many cool cars over there that get 40~50 MPG as a matter of course w/o even being special in their context. I'd love to have a '08 Ford KA as a run-around "bug". Or a Nissan Micra
laugh.gif

But over here, all I want for a new'ish car is a Tesla 85D. It's a rocket and roomy and comfy. Add a cobalt matrix battery for 300 mile range and merge that
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
No the trick is Harriet Housewife pulling into a filling station and freezing her hand off trying to fill it ...

If we want to go back to mandatory pump jockey's and full service fuel islands, it'll be cool (no pun intended...)

It uses gaseous hydrogen, not liquid.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Toyota....cutting edge technology and the best vehicles I've ever owned. Hat's off to Toyota!

Thing is, they're often conservative. They had carburetors when everyone else had FI. They had distributors when others used coil packs. They had Macpherson struts when Honda had double A-arms.

They take a measured approach to the future. It must be great to be an engineer there with corporate embracing a fairly consistent long-term plan and not getting all crack-headed with fads.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: madRiver
The reason for hybrid success was it did not take a special effort of end user and they had fuel prices climb to seal the deal with an administration who supported this technology with incentives for consumer.

Electric takes effort to plug them in so they get tripped. Finding currently more expensive hydrogen easily will make many hesistate beyond the fact that administration support(incentives) this go around is less likely.

No. Hybrid cars get you 50 MPG and reasonable performance in light of ever heavier and bulkier vehicles that have to meet ever growing safety concerns. Im still loving my 45-50 MPG HAH even as fuel prices have dropped. Instant torque at 0 RPM makes for decently performing daily drivers, not necessarily fitting everyone for everything, but useful for a lot.

There have been some silly ones that compromise utility for efficiency, and others that were intended to give "high performance" at the expense of superior MPGs. People can claim about the ROI for a hybrid, but the hybrid models arent always set up and outfit exactly the same, so it is much more of a case-by-case basis. The battery longevity issue has been pretty much proven to be a moot point, and batteries are one of the most recyclable products out there.

I am glad you are happy with your vehicle however it's paltry sales support my statements. Also Prius is on decline (half from its 2007 peak) in sales. Timing with fuel prices led to hybrid success beyond incentives for Toyota coupled to [censored] competition. Modern vehicles deliver incredible MPG so the gap is narrowing there also leading to disinterest.

Hydrogen needs all factors coming together to be successful.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: CKN
Your right. Toyota isn't stupid by any stretch. However-Toyota has 60 BILLION IN CASH RESERVES. Perhaps this buys them privileges for taking chances.

And your right-the Prius is one reliable automobile. There is no argument there-even from the Toyota haters.

I have not seen much on actual costs to replace the hybrid battery in a Prius. Owning a car that may require a $3000 or whatever battery would kill the deal for me.

Toyota feels the battery will last the life of the car-
Toyota told us that the engineers consider the NiMH batteries in Prius and other Toyota hybrids to be a life-of-the-car component. It could be several owners and hundreds of thousands of miles down the line before the pack requires replacement, at which point the car itself may well be past its prime.

That's backed up by stories like the 300,000-mile Ford Escape hybrid taxis, and Consumer Reports recently tested a 215,000-mile 2003 Prius and found its performance had barely diminished. In the latter, the only component that had needed replacement was a fan belt, at 127,000 miles.

More info

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Hydrogen needs all factors coming together to be successful.

The biggest one is supply though. There really is no thermodynamically favorable pathway to get it.

Would Hydrogen powered car burn more or less oxygen from the air? Would it produce less or more water? Assuming the answer is more to both these questions, what are the implication of losing O2 and handling excess water on the road?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: wemay
SOPUS is on board...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...t-hydrogen-leap

Mhm, maybe they see another prospect for their excess natural gas since GTL isn't doing it for them.

Hey, if you've got governments willing to throw millions of $$$ at you, why not get in on the boondoggle?

I had to put on my hip waders to get through that Bloomberg article.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back