opinon on 15w50 mobil1syn car oil in 2015 royal en

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use the M1 20W-50 red cap in bikes, and it never caused any problems. Have you checked the Royal Enfield forums to see what everybody is using?

owners manual states;15w50API,SL,grade,jasso,ma,ester,semi,synthetic oil or equivalent,what about mobil 1 full synthetic 15w50 car oil,sold in the 5 qt jug at wallyword.the enfield shares the oil with the gearbox.

Originally Posted By: triggercage
mobil 1 15w50 syn car oil 5qt jug at walmart ,will it hurt my 2015 royal enfield,will the clutch slip,

I think you will be fine using it and if it was me, I would not hesitate to try it, I do think you may hear more noise from the engine, just a trait of the M1.

I do use a 15w50 semi in my Road King and personally would recommend it to anyone, but, either way, its all oil.
Here is what I use, only thing is, not widely available in a store BUT Rural King will ship right to your door.
Click here, Mystik JT8 15w50

Last edited:
It's not a bad oil at all, but those of us who used to use Red Cap 15/50 are not fans of this oil, because it is not very shear stable.

MC's tend to rip it up pretty easily.

I would run it, but also would use UOA's to see what the oil is doing, and when.

I ran an older version of this oil in a shared-sump motorcycle, in ambient temperatures down to the mid-teens F. I had no issues. The pour point is somewhere around -40, IIRC.

red cap? have not seen that in my area in a long time,money is real tight for me right now,and i am getting sick of driveing 20 miles to the nearest dealer and paying top dollar for motorcycle oil,i have trouble finding 15w50 motorcycle oil,near me,i ran mobil 1 v twin 10w40 once,for about 500 miles,bike hated it,for the price of mobil 1 5 qrt jug at wallmart would prob,change oil at 3000 mi,twice the oil change same money.

As long as you're changing your oil before the engine has a chance to shred it, I do not see a problem with using it.

Alternatively, you can check Amazon for some deals.

I just picked up a shared-sump KTM bike, and had to go with oil off of Amazon, because the VR1 20/50 I usually use in my Harleys is not wet-clutch compatible.

Plenty of Triumph Bonnie owners have used it with no problems. The current formulation will likely shear down to a 40 weight a bit faster than the old "red cap" formula. But it offers good protection still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back