Torquing Acura Crank Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Service Manual says torque to 47 ft-lbs then another 60 degrees. It also says do not use impact. What does this mean? I assume Honda does not want you to use an impact wrench only because the torque would be uncertain. What would be wrong with torquing to 47ft-lbs and then using impact to rotate another 60 degrees?

The impact can damage bearings, gears etc. It makes tiny flat spots. A crank holding tool helps prevent that.
MHO

Smoky

Yeah, I'd be very concerned running something like this with an impact. Given that it's only 47 ft-lb, the max torque at 60 degrees can't possibly be that high. Better to do it right.

Quote:
Given that it's only 47 ft-lb, the max torque at 60 degrees can't possibly be that high.
It is Honda crank bolt! This is the bolt which laughs at 300 ft-lb gun and makes the DIY cry with frustration. You are talking about well in excess of 200 ft-lb of final torque here.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
Given that it's only 47 ft-lb, the max torque at 60 degrees can't possibly be that high.
It is Honda crank bolt! This is the bolt which laughs at 300 ft-lb gun and makes the DIY cry with frustration. You are talking about well in excess of 200 ft-lb of final torque here.

LOL! Been reading and watching videos about this bolt for over a month. Have my special high mass Lisle socket and Aircat 1150 should be here tomorrow. Tried my vintage Sears and it was like a flea pushing on an elephant.

Last edited:
If it's a manual car put in 5th gear set brakes put a breaker bar on the bolt push as hard as you can on the handle and call it done.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Quote:

LOL! Been reading and watching videos about this bolt for over a month. Have my special high mass Lisle socket and Aircat 1150 should be here tomorrow. Tried my vintage Sears and it was like a flea pushing on an elephant.
i have a high dollar Mac gun that wont take one off.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Quote:

i have a high dollar Mac gun that wont take one off.

Regular impact socket, or one of the high mass ones?

Artbuc: Would you mind trying a regular impact socket first just to see if the high impact socket makes a difference. Curious minds want to know.

BTW my Acura manual says 180ft/lbs torque, lube torque.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Artbuc: Would you mind trying a regular impact socket first just to see if the high impact socket makes a difference. Curious minds want to know.

Smoky

Will do. I suspect I do not have nuff air for either to work with the Aircat 1150. Probably just enough for a 5-10 second burst. If I get stymied I will upgrade compressor or add an auxiliary tank.

I confess to not understanding the reluctance to buying a proper crankshaft pulley holder and then a 3/4" breaker bar and socket from Harbor Freight. That is what I have for both my Toyota and my Honda vehicle, and coupled with a short piece of pipe I've never had an issue with getting the bolt out even the first time. It wasn't even that difficult really, and you're not banging on the drivetrain with an impact wrench.

Use the same tools to reinstall it (with the first torque as you specified) and you're done. As a DIY person, no need for impact wrenches nor for upgrading your compressor or an aux tank. Seriously it isn't that hard.

Also, I've never seen a Honda FSM specify an initial torque and then an angle for that bolt. You're sure about that, right?

Service Manual says torque to 47 ft-lbs then another 60 degrees. It also says do not use impact. What does this mean? I assume Honda does not want you to use an impact wrench only because the torque would be uncertain. What would be wrong with torquing to 47ft-lbs and then using impact to rotate another 60 degrees?

You mean besides the statement "do not use impact"?

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I confess to not understanding the reluctance to buying a proper crankshaft pulley holder and then a 3/4" breaker bar and socket from Harbor Freight. That is what I have for both my Toyota and my Honda vehicle, and coupled with a short piece of pipe I've never had an issue with getting the bolt out even the first time. It wasn't even that difficult really, and you're not banging on the drivetrain with an impact wrench.

Use the same tools to reinstall it (with the first torque as you specified) and you're done. As a DIY person, no need for impact wrenches nor for upgrading your compressor or an aux tank. Seriously it isn't that hard.

Also, I've never seen a Honda FSM specify an initial torque and then an angle for that bolt. You're sure about that, right?

I have the Honda pulley holder, breaker bar, etc, etc. I could not budge it. If all else fails I will use a much bigger cheater bar. I am not as young and strong as I used to be. I have seen videos of young beefy dudes who could not budge that mother. Honda actually put out a service bulletin warning techs about this bolt. Yes, that is exactly what the FSM says.

Last edited:
I once dealt with these while helping a friend.

He first tried to knock the bolt out by attaching a a socket and breaker bar, bracing the breaker bar on the ground, and hitting the starter.

The front end of the car rose about a foot off the ground. No dice.

I got the correct crank holding tool for him, and we attacked it using 2 5-foot pipes on the end of breaker bars. That did the trick. Barely.

When you use the right socket, it's not a frustrating job (Lisle 77080 on left, normal impact on right):
a9dZTXO.jpg

Here's a review from Amazon:
"I'm a professional mechanic in an independent shop, for over 20 years I've tussled with Honda crankshaft bolts on at least a hundred different repairs. 4 times out of 5, the bolt would laugh at any high powered 1/2" impact gun (like the SnapOn MG725 or IR2235Ti). Out comes the 3/4" breaker bar with a 4 foot cheater pipe to work against a pulley holding tool (Lisle #77260).

When I saw this socket, I couldn't quite wrap my head around the physics involved, but the price was reasonable so I got one to try. WOW! The only thing I could think was- "why did I wait to get one?" It'll take only a second or two with a "good" impact gun to spin off the bolt. I tried a very old & tired impact gun on another car - did it in 5 seconds."

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
When you use the right socket, it's not a frustrating job (Lisle 77080 on left, normal impact on right):
a9dZTXO.jpg

Here's a review from Amazon:
"I'm a professional mechanic in an independent shop, for over 20 years I've tussled with Honda crankshaft bolts on at least a hundred different repairs. 4 times out of 5, the bolt would laugh at any high powered 1/2" impact gun (like the SnapOn MG725 or IR2235Ti). Out comes the 3/4" breaker bar with a 4 foot cheater pipe to work against a pulley holding tool (Lisle #77260).

When I saw this socket, I couldn't quite wrap my head around the physics involved, but the price was reasonable so I got one to try. WOW! The only thing I could think was- "why did I wait to get one?" It'll take only a second or two with a "good" impact gun to spin off the bolt. I tried a very old & tired impact gun on another car - did it in 5 seconds."

Yeah, that is the socket which has been mentioned a few times already in this thread.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

He first tried to knock the bolt out by attaching a a socket and breaker bar, bracing the breaker bar on the ground, and hitting the starter.

That will NOT work on most older Hondas because the engine turns counter-clockwise. And the bolt is right hand thread. So hitting the starter makes it tighter.

Smoky

Holy Moses!! Got my Aircat 1150 today. What a sweet, well balanced and powerful tool. Set compressor to 120 using 25' of 3/8" hose screwed directly into gun. Was scary how it removed lug nuts torqued to 94 ft-lbs. Put it on the crank bolt with regular impact socket for 3-5 seconds, no dice. Went to Lisle high mass socket. Should have checked air pressure but I am guessing it was down to 100 psi by then. Lisle socket popped that crank bolt immediately. Remember, my case is easy in that car is only 7 years old with 55k miles and garage kept. No evidence of rust or threadlocker on the bolt.

Holy Moses!! Got my Aircat 1150 today. What a sweet, well balanced and powerful tool. Set compressor to 120 using 25' of 3/8" hose screwed directly into gun. Was scary how it removed lug nuts torqued to 94 ft-lbs. Put it on the crank bolt with regular impact socket for 3-5 seconds, no dice. Went to Lisle high mass socket. Should have checked air pressure but I am guessing it was down to 100 psi by then. Lisle socket popped that crank bolt immediately. Remember, my case is easy in that car is only 7 years old with 55k miles and garage kept. No evidence of rust or threadlocker on the bolt.

Awesome! These sockets sound like the real deal.

Smoky

Yet another tool to buy, but I have room in the box. Thanks buddy for the follow up. Wish I had your air gun, sounds sweet.

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back