Technically It's a Golf...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Awesome car! Congrats!

PS guys, the seats are tartan, not plaid...
wink.gif

banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Right, excuse me
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice car, I love the color. What size are the wheels?

18" with Continental tires. Probably not the best combo, but I might drive 5K a year, so they will last. Will probably be getting some 16" steelies and snow tires for winter.

Are you sure 16" fit over the front brakes?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah I can't stand front plates. My Sonata that I just bought came with a front plate holder and I took it off right away. Has holes though which irritates me.

Luckily here in Florida we only use one plate.

Congrats! My.wife tried one out same one with 3 pedals and plaid as a commuter. We loved it but using for 3 kids the golf wagon makes more sense but she loved this car.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Delta
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice car, I love the color. What size are the wheels?

18" with Continental tires. Probably not the best combo, but I might drive 5K a year, so they will last. Will probably be getting some 16" steelies and snow tires for winter.

Are you sure 16" fit over the front brakes?

IIRC they do. A co-worker of mine has an 09 and she was advised the same from VW.

350 mile update:

d73351efc48695846a1eef9888bb647d5d00a19b548ea7f820422535a614766d_zpseskvwm80.jpg

Ahem, now that that's out of the way...
laugh.gif

Engine/Transmission:
The EA888 2.0 and 6 speed manual is a great combo. It can be tame, and then be an animal in a couple seconds. You can drive it very respectful around town and it will be a great cruiser with decent fuel mileage. A press of the button to sport mode and it's a different car. Around 2500 RPM's it comes awake and you better hold on! Not the fastest thing on earth, but very respectable. It will zip to 100 in no time (not that I would recommend that...), but on the flip side it will hang at 75 on the highway all day and not complain. The 6 speed takes a little getting used to, and I'm still adjusting. I can honestly say I've stalled it a couple times as the engagement point is different than my Jetta. Shifting is smooth, but the gears are close together. Throw is short, but not too short. Lifetime MPG is 28.

Handling:
With the 18" wheels and low-profile tires, ride is harsher, but that's what one would expect. Electric assist steering is well balanced, although it is a little numb in town. Taking it up in the mountains it tackles the curves really well, but the car will tell you if it's too much. Body roll is at a minimum. As with any FWD under-steer is there, but the limiting factor at the moment may be the tires. Continental All Seasons are what it's equipped with from factory. I'd be curious to see what a better set would do. Traction control has never been turned off at the moment.

Interior/Infotainment:
I really like the cloth seats with the built-up sides. They really do hold you in there, but I'm not sure if a larger person would be comfortable. Door panels, headliner, A and B pillars are all black fabric. Not sure on longevity, but it will hide the dirt. Touch screen entertainment system is implemented very well IMO. Navigating through the menus can be tricky until you learn where everything is at. Sound quality is decent, but definitely not as balanced as the Jetta's. It is getting better as time rolls on, but I'm sure it's just my ears getting used to it. Bluetooth seems to work well, and it can even connect two phones at the same time. Call quality is decent. Media streaming works flawlessly, wither it's Bluetooth or SD card. Have not tried the CD/MP3 player yet, probably never will. Much easier to load an SD card with several albums. There is also complete car information through the screen. This is also where you can change settings to the car itself, something I'm not used to. It can display Boost, oil temp, G-force and even shows you a score out of 100 for your driving economy.

Overall I love the car, I'm sure as the miles go on I'll find more that I like, and even dislike.

Around 600 miles now, so finally able to take it to the redline. All I can say is wow! While not the fastest thing on 4 wheels, it's leaps beyond the 5 cylinder that was in the Jetta. Been keeping mid grade fuel in it (minimum is 87) and it has been a solid performer. Longterm reliability is yet to be determined, but so far so good. Waiting till about 1500 miles to dump the FF, and possibly go with an APR Stage 1 tune, which gets you to almost 400 ft/lb of torque and 300+ HP for about $700. Ironically the nearest APR tuner is a VW dealer...

Congrats bud. Enjoy it in good health. Will you be definitely going with Castrol 0w-40? I just got one and was wondering.

Originally Posted By: nycsneak
Congrats bud. Enjoy it in good health. Will you be definitely going with Castrol 0w-40? I just got one and was wondering.

Yup, had a couple jugs left over from my other VW. Just bought a new filter and drain plug from the dealer. Planning on changing it when I come back from Vermont here in a month.

nice car. Back in 2015 I almost went VW but I was shopping for a diesel. When they didnt have any more manual transmission jettas I walked. Id drive your car.

Was your dealer Ourisman?

In another thread, you said you arrived and got $1000 better price. How in the world did you manage that?

And the 22.8k was inclusive of PA sales tax?

I'm looking at buying one of these later this year. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: deanm11
Was your dealer Ourisman?

In another thread, you said you arrived and got $1000 better price. How in the world did you manage that?

And the 22.8k was inclusive of PA sales tax?

I'm looking at buying one of these later this year. Thank you.

Sheehy VW of Springfield, Virginia. There was a couple fees they took off and some off the car itself. The 22.8K included 6% PA sales tax that was sent to a title notary local to me. Apparently they do this alot.

If you decide to buy a GTI do yourself a favor and get the lighting package. The stock halogens are ok, but could be improved.

Those seats are amazing but speaking as a guy who's 6 ft 1, 250, heavily bolstered seats DON'T work for fat boys. The lower bolsters push my knees together instead of letting them splay out and I wear the heck out of the upholstery sliding across the bolsters.

I'd take that Tartan pattern though, looks great!

Thanks guys. I'm almost too fat for them myself and I'm short. Takes an interesting approach getting in and out.

Just turned over 2K miles the other day and I'm still loving it! I did my first "scratch" yesterday; apparently the car is lower than I thought. Scuffed the bottom of the bumper pretty good on a steep driveway. Oh well, that's outta the way now, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back