Replace clutch fork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you guys replace the clutch fork in the following situation? High mileage but well maintained SN95 (96 GT drop top 5spd) with lots of bolt ons but nothing wild; not a high dollar car but nice. Leaking RMS resulted in need for a cluthc job over the winter, picked up an excellent/like new clutch out of a cobra model (already converted to 11in in the past) for almost nothing. I could literally just pop out the old one, resurface the flywheel and pop in the new one. Wasn't haven't any other problems besides slip/chatter.

But of course when I got it all apart the pivot stud showed noticable wear, and there is a bit of wear in the pivot pocket on the clutch fork as well. When fitted together and articulated by hand its a little rough but its dry un-greased right now. TOB feels amazingly smooth (was made in USA Timken)...

Since this is a weekend/extra car I'm pretty tempted to just leave well enough alone and do the basic clutch job... but being a BITOG'er I'm very temped to do the pivot stud and clutch fork while its apart; of course this would mean its worth the money to pop a new TOB in there.... but I hate to replace a known good USA made timken as it is getting darn near impossible to find good TOB's these days...

Anyways, open to opinions and thoughts!

By noticeable, how much? Like it's polished, or there's material worn away? If it's getting worn away and you're going to keep the car a while longer, I'd replace it for peace of mind. Nothing like ruining a cruise by the car getting stuck in gear or failing to go into gear.

Change all the parts as necessary unless you want to go back in there again.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Yes, they are cheap. Replace it along with the pivot ball.

I don't think I would call them cheap... $80 plus about $25 for the pivot. I'm trying to ascertain whether replacing will offer any real benefit.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Yes, they are cheap. Replace it along with the pivot ball.

I don't think I would call them cheap... $80 plus about $25 for the pivot. I'm trying to ascertain whether replacing will offer any real benefit.

While I had it apart, $105 seems like a pittance. If it were mine I would reassemble it with new parts. You'll never know if there is a real benefit until you put it back together and the old parts fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back