Replacement Front Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
Hey, is there really any difference in replacement struts? I'm looking at the whole assembly, with the spring, bearing, etc. As far as spring rate, are they all about the same?

Seems like there is Monroe, and then everyone else, with a huge price gap. The vehicle is the 2000 Montana, which my son-in-law replaced just the strut a few years ago, he used a Delco part, so it would last. The bearing was noisy, he didn't replace that. Well, it's leaking. Since I am not a tech, and don't have access to shop equipment, I am opting for the fully assembled item, which includes all new rubber, bearings, the whole nine.

I have seen where an Impala part with the taxi and police option will fit the van. I assume that is the heavy duty model? I was wondering if an upgrade was available?

I'm looking at the "StrutTEK" item, which I believe is exclusively carried by Prime Choice Auto Parts. I have read reviews, and there are a fair amount of negatives, but I didn't see too many about item failure, anyone here have experience with them? The Monroe item is around $100.00 each, I got the whole set, front struts, rear shocks, for $140.!! Seems like all of the off brands are from the same factory in China.....

Thoughts?

A quick strut will use a one size fits most philosophy to spring rates. OEMs will have a few different.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A quick strut will use a one size fits most philosophy to spring rates. OEMs will have a few different.

Ya, I looked on Rock Auto, they have a variety of known brands (and a few unknowns) and prices, and seems like they are tuned to the vehicle, but all the vans in that platform and year run are the same, they don't offer different spring rates within a model number. All those vans came with the same engine, about the only difference in models was the extended version, and they don't list that. They all point out the advantages of their product, but who really knows how much of that is just stating what every brand offers? I'll check back after these have a few years on them and give an update.

I installed Monroe quick struts on my 03 Buick a few weeks and a maybe 2k miles ago, so far so good. They are stiffer riding than the previous replacement struts I used, which were GM. I got about 85000 miles out of the previous GM struts, not totally shot, but getting tired. These Monroe's were inexpensive, I wonder how long they will last?

I'd try the Moog from Rockauto. I am actually about to order a set of the Moog for the front of my Century. I found favorable reviews for my part number at Summit racing which built my confidence in them slightly.

Even cheap replacements should feel better for years compared to the worn out parts

I actually put a set of the Unity quick struts on my friends Navigator over a year ago and he is still happy with them. Cheap and made in china, but they looked great and seem to be performing well. I've put another set on a friends Murano since and they seem to be doing well also.

I put Monroe quickstruts on my '99 Camry, I'm ok with them. They replaced some unknown Sensens that seemed too stiff (and I had some spring sag). But it's a twenty year old car economy soft-riding car--anything would feel ok. Haven't had long enough to know how long they will last.

How many miles are on the van? I would probably just get the cheapest set off of Rockauto (ultra Power in this case) or If you like having a brand name, the Moog looks quite nice.

Likely all made in the same plant in China with different paint and stickers. Badge engineering at its finest.

Quick struts are easy enough to replace that I'd just do it with whatever floats your boat. Don't forget to re-set the toe afterwards or have a shop do it.

Originally Posted By: supton
I put Monroe quickstruts on my '99 Camry, I'm ok with them. They replaced some unknown Sensens that seemed too stiff (and I had some spring sag). But it's a twenty year old car economy soft-riding car--anything would feel ok. Haven't had long enough to know how long they will last.
I'm used KYB "quick struts" and they have tightened up both my Gen 4s. I do have a set of Spax cartridges on the front of one, they work well but don't evidence "excessive" damping. The OEM struts in my 08 are very good but suspension design changes after 2000 make it unwise to directly compare. None of the quick struts are as good as Koni or Bilstein units but those are hard to find and are very expensive.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd try the Moog from Rockauto. I am actually about to order a set of the Moog for the front of my Century. I found favorable reviews for my part number at Summit racing which built my confidence in them slightly.

Even cheap replacements should feel better for years compared to the worn out parts

When I had my 2002 Buick Century, I replaced all 4 struts with KYBs after about 80K (a lot of hard NYC miles included). The KYBs were much firmer (better) than the OEs with 80K. I highly recommend them even though I don't think they make a 'Quick Strut'......and don't forget to change the bearings too....I learned that the hard way.

Originally Posted By: pbm

When I had my 2002 Buick Century, I replaced all 4 struts with KYBs after about 80K (a lot of hard NYC miles included). The KYBs were much firmer (better) than the OEs with 80K. I highly recommend them even though I don't think they make a 'Quick Strut'......and don't forget to change the bearings too....I learned that the hard way.

Which bearing are you talking about, the wheel bearing? I seem to be replacing them quite often. The passenger side has a less than one year old AC Delco wheel bearing and the drivers side has a two year old Timken that is making low speed noise occasionally but none of the high speed drone yet.

The premium name brands are good stuff (Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, and Sachs). The cheap Chinese ones are not as good and rarely last more than 10k. The cheaper Monroe and Gabriel lines (Monroe's Econo-Matic and Gabriel's Guardian) are only good for 30k max. The good quick struts are good for at least 50k and have a lifetime warranty. Moog and Raybestos are also Chinese.

Also, Monroe and Gabriel will be running a rebate promo in March (they do so every year), buy 3 get 1 free. This makes them competitive in price with the cheaper Chinese quick struts while offering MUCH better quality.

KYB claims to be about 10% more firm than stock. A lot of people like KYB more than Monroe, so you may consider them worth the extra money (they're not on sale as often as Monroe and Gabriel, and when they do the rebate is only like $40). KYB at least finally offers a warranty on their quick struts now. But pre-rebate, tke KYB struts are actually cheaper than Monroe, at least on Rock Auto.

So for you, my choice would be KYB
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: supton
I'm used KYB "quick struts" and they have tightened up both my Gen 4s. I do have a set of Spax cartridges on the front of one, they work well but don't evidence "excessive" damping.

Spax makes cartridges for the Camry?
shocked2.gif

KYB does indeed make quick struts, and they even have them for that 2002 Century. KYB calls them "Strut Plus"

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
How many miles are on the van? I would probably just get the cheapest set off of Rockauto (ultra Power in this case) or If you like having a brand name, the Moog looks quite nice.

199,000. Struts were replaced a few years back with Delco, not quick struts, used old springs and bearings. Reason for replacing is leakage on right side. Van is already on jack stands for brakes and a coolant leak, so while it's apart.....

Already ordered the Prime Choice StrutTEK before the price increase. $140 on Amazon for 2 front struts and 2 rear shocks. I had them in the shopping cart, and while I was comparing, the price went up. I had them in the cart already, so I got the lower price.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The premium name brands are good stuff (Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, and Sachs). The cheap Chinese ones are not as good and rarely last more than 10k. The cheaper Monroe and Gabriel lines (Monroe's Econo-Matic and Gabriel's Guardian) are only good for 30k max. The good quick struts are good for at least 50k and have a lifetime warranty. Moog and Raybestos are also Chinese.

Slacktide, you seem to know your struts but I'm not sure I understand your view of the Moog line. Could you add more about the Moog quickstruts ? In your view, do they fit in the premium brands or since you mentioned they are Chinese, does that imply they are of lesser quality than the others.

My experience is that some of the quickstruts are "brand engineered" in the same plant in Mexico. Different day of the week they get a different sticker slapped on at the end of the line and put into a different box - that is the only difference. (I know that was the case 8 or so years ago with KYB and Gabriel)

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Which bearing are you talking about, the wheel bearing? I seem to be replacing them quite often. The passenger side has a less than one year old AC Delco wheel bearing and the drivers side has a two year old Timken that is making low speed noise occasionally but none of the high speed drone yet.

I was thinking he was referring to the upper strut mount. Since it has a bearing in it.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Likely all made in the same plant in China with different paint and stickers. Badge engineering at its finest.

Quick struts are easy enough to replace that I'd just do it with whatever floats your boat. Don't forget to re-set the toe afterwards or have a shop do it.

Why reset the toe? And how?

Originally Posted By: Cressida
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Slacktide, you seem to know your struts but I'm not sure I understand your view of the Moog line. Could you add more about the Moog quickstruts ? In your view, do they fit in the premium brands or since you mentioned they are Chinese, does that imply they are of lesser quality than the others.

Moog is Chinese, and I think they are probably lesser quality. When Moog first launched their quick struts, I emailed them to ask who supplies the damper, and they wouldn't tell me.

And besides, with the rebate promos that will be launching this week, you can get US-made Monroe for cheaper than Chinese Moog. I would stick to Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, or Sachs quick struts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back