Automotive oil filter on OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, not to mention that many filter manufacturers, including Wix and Hasting/Baldwin actually have various types of OPE, not to mention the engines themselves, listed in their applications guides. Both of them, in fact, actually have many B&S and Kohler engines listed right in the guide. If they specify a filter for use, it's safe to use. Automotive filters, indeed.

If the filter used is crossed referenced to the OEM filter then no problem. However, if we just pick one that happens to screw on, then maybe a problems. I use a B&S filter every 50 hours so the extra $2-3 cost increase is negligible compared to other costs like the gas or oil spent in 50 running hours. I also don't have to ask the question, is it OK to use a filter not recommended. Ed

Bad logic at work. Filter for $600 replacement lawnmower engine=$10, filter for auto engine replacement value >$3900= $6. Seems kinda wrong-headed. I've used automotive filter on my B&S since I've owned it. Has not smoked or seized or done anything but run and run.

And it's silly to call a Wix, Baldwin/Hastings, Fram, Purolator, etc. an "automotive filter" in any event. These companies make engine filters. Some are found in automotive applications, but there are motorcycle applications, agricultural applications, commercial ones, recreational ones, and OPE. Their application guides reflect all these categories.

I prefer to you a factory recommended or cross referenced filter, whether it be for my $600 mower engine or my $3900 dollar car engine. That is logical 2cool. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back