Serpentine belt on 2001 Duratec 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a belt off ebay that was described as a serpentine belt. My 2001 sable is due as they are original belts and now have 140,000 miles on it. Belt really doesn't look that bad though by visual inspection. The belt I purchased is below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141532139487?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

After receiving it the length is way shorter than the serpentine belt I was planning to replace. Seller says this is the water pump belt. I have looked and cannot find a separate water pump belt. There is a small belt on the top right side that I am not sure what this is for but don't think it is the water pump. Does this belt go to my engine and if so where?
Thanks.

That's definitely the water pump belt for your engine.
727090CamDriven_00000030318.jpg

There is a small belt on the drivers side that drives the water pump off of the camshaft.

The 3.0L duratec belt drive is an odd setup. The small belt drives the water pump off the camshaft. Then there is the traditional serpentine belt. You do in fact need two belts.

Yeah, the little belt is easy to change. I think there's a cover for it and then you don't need any tools to set the tension, you can just do it by hand, it's not that strong.

Belt should have a lil tensioner tht you should be able to move by hand and pop it right off and on. The belt next to your batt is your WP belt. The belt next to your coolant overflow tank is the serp belt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back