Pick my oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going on a 3000 mile trip max speed of 80mph and up and down mountains. 2.0L DI 2016 Focus with 11k miles on it. I will be using Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-20 which I already own. I own two filters for it, WIX XP and Purolator One (New Blue Can) pick which one I use for this trip.
smile.gif

I ordered the microgreen last night for my new pickup. People complain about cost but it was $11 which I'm completely willing to pay for. Any posts and videos I've seen show it to be built very well. I haven't seen any testing setups but the few that I've seen run them seem to believe they do a very good job. Take a look.

Originally Posted By: FlyingTexan
I ordered the microgreen last night for my new pickup. People complain about cost but it was $11 which I'm completely willing to pay for. Any posts and videos I've seen show it to be built very well. I haven't seen any testing setups but the few that I've seen run them seem to believe they do a very good job. Take a look.

Where did you buy it?

Very cool skyactiv.

Gonna get some use out of that next time the wife asks for my decorating preferences.

Have you checked the weather forecast? Which way will the wind be blowing? I cannot offer a sound suggestion without this data. You bought the filters. Are you seriously undecided about which one to use on this treacherous trip up and down hills? If you feel that one is inferior I guess save it for your flatland driving? Whats even funnier than your question is people saying 'Wix all the way!' Just throw the other one in the trash I guess. If you weren't driving 80 maybe the Purolator would be ok? Or is it the hills that disqualify the Purolator?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Have you checked the weather forecast? Which way will the wind be blowing? I cannot offer a sound suggestion without this data. You bought the filters. Are you seriously undecided about which one to use on this treacherous trip up and down hills? If you feel that one is inferior I guess save it for your flatland driving? Whats even funnier than your question is people saying 'Wix all the way!' Just throw the other one in the trash I guess. If you weren't driving 80 maybe the Purolator would be ok? Or is it the hills that disqualify the Purolator?

Well said.

Which of course means absolutely nothing, just like the "data" on their website.

I did take a look. There is no actual standardized data which shows that filter is any better at filtering oil than my window screen, so I guess "seem to believe they do a very good job" is all you have got.

This is great news. So I can run SuperTech for 30,000 miles and only need to change the filter?

What is the efficiency of the MicroGreen? I can't seem to find any info on their website.

How exactly does it do a good job? What can a person take away just from a visual inspection? Why should someone choose a MG over, say, a FRAM Ultra?

The Purolator One because you can put miles on it and change it out faster. It will probably do fine, but who knows. As long as the louvers aren't closed it may be OK.

Since you are using an EP oil...I'd use the EP oil filter (which is the Wix).....this way you're covered if you go beyond a 7 to 10K OCI.

PS: I know that some complain about the Wix XP's efficiency but they are built for long OCI's. I would probably run the FU but since you already own the Wix...go with it.

PS: I still don't trust newer Purolators....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back