My 1st LML UOA.... need input plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Ive had this truck for just over a year now and just got my first UOA from Blackstone. Im just wondering if anyone else has had any high levels of Potassium and Aluminum and what is was from. Seems kinda weird but this is my first diesel so comparing to a gasser is not quite apples to apples. Truck only has 55k on it and have been running Schaffers 7000 15W40 since I got it in December of 2015. Im REAL anal on upkeep so this makes me nervous. I did mention on sample it was sampled from a cold engine and not up to temp. Not sure if that matters or not. It also is running tuning (just +40hp for towing) and has egr disconnected but not blocked with hard parts. No DPF either. All of that since February of 2016. Not sure if that makes a difference. Has a COI as well. Other than that its stock.

Any ideas or reassurances? Thanks, Chris. LML UOA

Last edited:
I doubt tuning could cause that but Im no expert on the matter. EGR flux in the welding of the cooler is what Blackstone tends to think. Would that still be around after 55k miles?

Potassium has only one real major source when found in engine oil — antifreeze. Other key elements that you will want to look for are boron, chromium, phosphorus and silicon. All of these elements are associated with antifreeze and, if found in engine oil, can be an indicator that you have a coolant leak....The three basic field tests for antifreeze in oil are the blotter spot test, the patch test and Schiff’s reagent method

Potassium is high but the others don't seem to be. Maybe EGR flux is the cause as Blackstone suggests.

To enlarge the report hit the "+" to the right side of the report.

Well I dont have a dedicated funnel for oil. I usually just wipe it down or spray with brake cleaner and spray with air. I assume this is bad? Lol. But that was when I ADDED the oil 8k miles ago. Which sucks because I just did the same thing on this oil.

I had a similar report on my Cummins before at just over 56K miles:

"The high aluminum could show piston/bearing wear, but with
potassium, it could just be material from the EGR system. That stuff should wash out with time, and it's not uncommon
for it to take a while.

That sample of Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 had 6500 miles on it with stock emissions intact.

I wouldn't be to alarmed, I would just monitor it.

I deleted this past summer and removed/blocked off hard parts and will be monitoring mine to make sure levels drop back down and wash out with a few change intervals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back