2.7 ecoboost oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good oci based on hours and not mileage asking for someone else vehicle does alot of idling tight now vehicle has 120 hours and 3k miles

Last edited:
What vehicle? Do you have an OLM?

In the F150, its supposed to have an intelligent Oil Life Monitor, but I've only found it to be a mileage counter. The manual says to expect the maintenance light to come on between 3000-5000 for severe, 5000-7500 for moderate driving, and 7500-10000 for a normal duty cycle. No mention of hours.

The OLM in my F150 definitely isn't a mileage counter. I'm on track for an (approximate) 8,000 km oci this winter. It counts down very quickly when it's -35 Celsius outside. In summer the OLM counts down much less quickly.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

In the F150, its supposed to have an intelligent Oil Life Monitor, but I've only found it to be a mileage counter. The manual says to expect the maintenance light to come on between 3000-5000 for severe, 5000-7500 for moderate driving, and 7500-10000 for a normal duty cycle. No mention of hours.

5k OCI with 5w30 Magnatec
smile.gif

I have an '16 F150 with the 2.7 and I am going by the IOLM, there is plenty of a buffer built into the IOLM that there shouldn't be an issue. I will pull a sample and post results at the next change which will be about 20,000 mi, currently at 17,500 mi. I let factory fill go until IOLM went off at approx. 10,000 mi. I didn't pull a sample on the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09
The OLM in my F150 definitely isn't a mileage counter. I'm on track for an (approximate) 8,000 km oci this winter. It counts down very quickly when it's -35 Celsius outside. In summer the OLM counts down much less quickly.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

Interesting, I've towed 70+mph at >85% GCW and still been on track for a 10k OCI. I dumped the oil early and the UOA didn't look to strong. I'm sticking to 5k max. I really want to trust the engineers that developed the engine, as I'm one myself, but can't bring myself to do it after my UOAs.

I agree I think I'm gonna do 5k mile OCI with Mobil 1 5W-30 pending UOA results, although I don't push mine very hard. There is a UOA that shows a lot of shear of the 5W-30 with heavy towing. If I see it I might do 10W-30. My older Volvo, which I assume Ford based some of their turbo design ques on, called for 10W-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robo339
What would be a good oci based on hours and not mileage asking for someone else vehicle does alot of idling tight now vehicle has 120 hours and 3k miles

OLM?

Ford's OLM is not based upon mileage only. I think it's set to 10,000 miles max, but harsher operating conditions will make it drop. I'm looking at about 7,600 miles on my oil based upon current run rates (fair amount of idling).

I recommend changing the oil and doing an analysis when the OLM reaches 50%. That will tell you if the oil you're running is tracking with the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back