Sound like a bad water pump bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the drive belt off of my car to test the pulleys by hand. First was the powet steering, which I think is fine. Second is the water pump, which had just the smallest bit of give and sounded like the bearing was making noise. I made a previous post about the mystery noise coming from the drive belt area. Just want a confirmation of my suspicion before I start ordering parts.

A long dowel can be used to pick up sound from the pump and conduct it to your ear. Don't forget there are bearings in the oil pump, and the alternator, and the cam bearings.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
How many miles are on this water pump?

Dont know exactly, but I think 45k+/-. Toyota had a bunch of problems with these on the 2007/8/9 Camrys. It isnt weeping, but it sounds like the bearing is going bad which will lead to problems later. Certainly felt and sounded a little rough when I was spinning it.

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
Dont know exactly, but I think 45k+/-. Toyota had a bunch of problems with these on the 2007/8/9 Camrys. It isnt weeping, but it sounds like the bearing is going bad which will lead to problems later. Certainly felt and sounded a little rough when I was spinning it.

It is bad then. There should be no roughness whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back