New 2016 Grand Caravan 3.6 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intake gaskets are out on the 09 T&C. Fortunately, I was near the dealership where I purchased this van. Wound up trading for a Grand Caravan with 24k miles. Are the 3.6 engines known to consume oil like the 3.8 did?

Last edited:
Nope, the 3.6 is very solid and generally turns great UOAs.

In comparison, the 3.8 is a boat anchor. Enjoy the ride...

I have a 2015 Caravan. On my current oil change I had to add a litre of oil around the 4000 mile mark. I'm using Pennzoil platinum 5w-20. I currently have 24151km.

I have a 2015 Caravan. On my current oil change I had to add a litre of oil around the 4000 mile mark. I'm using Pennzoil platinum 5w-20. I currently have 24151km.

I have '14 and a '15 3.6 pentastar. Only time I add oil to either of them is when I am doing an oil and filter change. My OCIs have been between 5,000 and 7,500 miles.

They have been great engines so far.

My 13' pentastar consumed no noticeable oil between OCIs.

It did however just fail. Cracked heads and block. The good news is that Dodge is putting a new engine in it.

After further investigation it appears the integrated exhaust manifold in the heads could be the contributing factor. Speculation on my part though since Chrysler won't define the root cause issue with the early pentastar failures.

We're at ~70K miles on our 2013 Grand Caravan with the 3.6L Pentastar. I've done every OC on this van since new and follow the OLM that carries it out to around 7500mi between OCs. I've never once had to add a drop of oil between OCIs. They do hold a lot of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back