Talk to me about magnetorheological dampers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering purchasing a new car with (optional) magnetorheological dampers (2018 Mustang) sometime next year. I plan to own this car for at least 10 years, possibly longer. I understand loosely how they work and the benefits there of, but know nothing about long term maintenance or replacement issues. Are they similar to air suspensions, meaning when it comes time to replace them because they are eventually going to fail, get out your checkbook? Or are they more like looking after standard shock absorbers. If there's not that great a benefit to them and they are expensive to maintain/replace, I may just go with a standard suspension set-up. I'd love some first hand or confirmed second hand knowledge / opinions. Thank you.

This is relatively old technology. Mass produced versions began in the early 2000's on the Cadillac STS. That said, 15 years later, it's pretty safe to call it a proven technology.

It's a simple and effective technology. The beauty of it is that there are no moving parts as in previous electronic suspensions that manipulated control through valving. It works by simply manipulating a magnetic fluid, changing it's viscosity.

While they are expensive to replace when the time comes (you gotta pay to play), the longevity is not shortened by their extra capabilities.

If I bought a Mustang GT I'd consider those dampers to be a mandatory option.

If they end up being too expensive, you can always just get Bilstein HD
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back