Removing Paint from Metal Baseboard Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Repainting various rooms around the house and I'd like to repaint the covers for our baseboard heat. Before I do, I'd like to remove the layers of paint that have been put on by previous owners. Any product recommendations? I'm looking at stuff such as this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-1-qt-Safer-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripping-Gel-QCG73801T/100208204?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D24-Paint%7c&gclid=CKvy-sCen9ICFVRMDQoduJAA7A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Depending on what is on them, you might have better luck with a heat gun, and then if necessarily follow up with paint remover and/or sand paper.

I stripped and repainted my motorcycle tank this last weekend. I removed the old paint with Rust-Oleum Aircraft remover. It works amazing and surprisingly it didn't smell as bad as I thought it would. I was down to bare metal in about 15 minutes. The directions say to use a plastic scraper, I used a scraper for the heavy stuff and then did a second coat and final wipe with paper towels. Make sure you wear gloves since you can get a nasty chemical burn without them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Aircraft-Remover-1qt/17203456

Aircraft paint remover or if it's just household wall paint the heat gun and scraper will work fine. Paint strippers are not "friendly" chemicals; so gloves and eye protection is mandatory.

I'd simply pull them and have them sandblasted. You'll probably spend as much in time and materials with regular stripper getting them completely cleaned.

If you can transport them, Id take then to a dip and strip place. If during your work, you dent or damage them, then its more work getting a new one that matches. A place that has a vat for big stuff is useful.

You might look to get them sprayed there. We took a cast iron radiator, certainly a different beast from what you have, but may still be relevant, to a metal finishing place. We wanted it to be a matte grey. They stripped/blasted, and painted with sone real high quality coating, and its perfect.

Stuff like that should probably be sprayed at minimum.

If any of the paint might have been applied before 1978 be careful for lead paint. Use any of the strippers mentioned above. Keeping the paint wet cuts down on dust. Place the removed paint in a plastic bag as you remove it.

Normal hot water heat baseboards are a PIA to paint. There is what is screwed to the wall, the front the can be removed, end caps and a moveable damper.

My first choice is to replace them with ones that are galvanized and then painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back