Video on a Ecoboost 3.5 with 200,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the horror, a Motorcraft filter!
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I've said all along if you use those motors the way they were intended and keep up the maintenance they will last. You get the occasional lemon that just stays in the shop, but I'm betting this is more of the norm. Our field manager has a 2015 Ecoboost that has racked close to 70K by now with no issues. It gets 5K mile oil changes religiously (actually EVERY vehicle in the fleet does) and driven hard.

Very interesting. The old days of turbo's used to make me nervous, but current turbo's seem to be quite trustworthy long term.

Turbo failure in the past had a lot to do with heat/oil problems. The one thing that the EcoBoost engines have that many of their counterparts didn't was that they are not just oil cooled, but water cooled as well. That helps keep temps a little better under control.

I am now on my second 3.5L EcoBoost powered F150. The only reason I sold my 2012 was that where we are moving we needed a 4x4. Great platform for power and economy. Quiet and comfortable. The ability for my truck to tow over 11K with my max tow package is pretty outstanding.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
[censored] yea Daniel Jaeger is the man

+1

I like his youtube channel. In addition to a home shop, he worked as a tech at some type rental fleet garage and is now a foreman there IIRC. He sees a pretty broad swath of about every vehicle make with vehicles fresh off the transport with less than 10 miles and problems direct from the factory, to abused in service rental fleet problems.

DJ's a great guy to follow; one of a few I listen to on YouTube.

There are some serious EB haters on the Ford truck forums, but they seem to be just the vocal minority. These engines do want to be worked and they appear to benefit from an aggressive maintenance plan. The engines have been around now long enough that the high-mileage drivers are reaching the 200-300k mile mark. Haters often point to random posts on a forum where limited details are provided about the motor's condition (maintenance history, driving history, modifications, etc.). It's interesting info, but not what I'd consider "facts and data".

If I'm being honest, I think where the jury is still out is how this engine holds up with average or below average annual mileage, extended city/short trip driving and/or maintenance performed at Ford's recommended intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back