GM Diff Lubricant vs The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 09 Cadillac CTS-V, these cars have a heavy duty Getrag diff and are notorious for burning up factory fluid because of poor cooling and sometimes being under filled. My car has 40k on it. Even cars drained at 12k drop out black fluid.

The main forum for these V's are filled with some fairly intelligent people and there is a consensus on the forums to NOT use AMSOil in your diff. There have been repeated issues with noise afterwards from members who use AMSOil but no one has gotten into the "why" of this. The noise was always remedied by a change back to GM fluid. I'm glad I bothered to read their long thread because I was about to order some 75w90 Severe Gear.

No one has issues with Royal Purple, Red Line, M1. GM has two types of diff fluid and both are used by forum members without issues. The old grape scented stuff that you have to add limited slip additive too, and the newest fluid #88862624 that needs no additive. This: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-88862624-Differential-Lubricant-Quart/dp/B00GTJD5RG

The link contains what seems to be the forum favorite. Though it is viewed as GM Secret Sauce Diff Fluid. "It's better, we just don't know why, you should use it because everyone else is using it." That is the gist of it.

In my opinion, considering all the issues people have had with diff whine from premature wear, bearing failures, burned fluid, etc. Maybe that GM fluid is not the best option. For the price of 2 quarts of GM 75w90 I can get buy 6 quarts of Mobil 1 LS 75w90. Probably would cover me for my full ownership period of 3-4 years.

Thoughts BITOG?

I used Mobil 1 gear lubricant for 20 years - but a year ago started running Delvac 1 ... very HD lube ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I used Mobil 1 gear lubricant for 20 years - but a year ago started running Delvac 1 ... very HD lube ...

I read somewhere that the Delvac is not limited slip ready, do you know if that is true?

Differential gear whining is simply an indication of inadequate operating viscosity i.e inadequate film thicknesss.
Basically a 75W90 is inadequate for a CTS V.
If one must use synthetic, consider 80W140 or 75W140.
75W110 may or may not be adequate, depending on individual application.

Your position on synthetic gear lube is well known - but he seems to be cooking this fluid ...

but he seems to be cooking this fluid ...

Yeah, it's ridiculous that GM wouldn't devise a fluid specification (9986290) that incorporates standardized test methods (ASTM D6121/D7452) to ensure an oil would be suitable for this application.

(P.S. - For those who have a difficult time with sarcasm, that's exactly what GM did.)

If other owners have trouble w amsoil, I wouldn't use it. I would go OEM, you can them cheaper than the dealer. Try Amazon, summit racing, eBay, etc

It wasn't chatter they were having issues with,
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
but he seems to be cooking this fluid ...

Yeah, it's ridiculous that GM wouldn't devise a fluid specification (9986290) that incorporates standardized test methods (ASTM D6121/D7452) to ensure an oil would be suitable for this application.

(P.S. - For those who have a difficult time with sarcasm, that's exactly what GM did.)

People overheat these diffs on the street. http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/7-rear-end/2902-changed-oil-diff-wow.html

General consensus is a single track day requires a diff drain afterwards. Track guys are running 75w140.

Quickly looked at your link. Lots of talk, but has anyone actually obtained measurements? I'd think among a bunch of CTS-V owners, there would be someone that could afford a temp probe and provide some objective data.

The L-37 (ASTM D6121) test I mentioned that's a part of the GM requirements is ran at 325°F for 16 hours.

Quickly looked at your link. Lots of talk, but has anyone actually obtained measurements? I'd think among a bunch of CTS-V owners, there would be someone that could afford a temp probe and provide some objective data.

The L-37 (ASTM D6121) test I mentioned that's a part of the GM requirements is ran at 325°F for 16 hours.

The diff has a temp sensor, it warns you for overheat at 300 degrees, that is the warning they are talking about.

Why are they overheating? Must be friction of some kind. Either the gear surfaces or the clutch packs. I'm guessing the clutches if the fluid is coming out "Burnt" ...is really friction material. The secret must be in the FM and the clutch material. The wife's G8 also takes the secret sauce fluid but I never really found out what it was either. Took it to a dealer for the fluid change.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Why are they overheating? Must be friction of some kind. Either the gear surfaces or the clutch packs. I'm guessing the clutches if the fluid is coming out "Burnt" ...is really friction material. The secret must be in the FM and the clutch material. The wife's G8 also takes the secret sauce fluid but I never really found out what it was either. Took it to a dealer for the fluid change.

Diff gets no airflow being tucked up under the car. I read one person got a temp warning just cruising at 125+ for a length of time. Guys spend real money to remedy this issue. I'm not putting one of these rediculous kits on my car.

http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify.com/products/diff-cooler-thermo-controlled

I won't comment on why those using Amsoil have experienced issues; it's merely supposition and guesswork.

Regardless, here is one thing that's important to consider...

At 100°C, 75w-90 (Valvoline SynPower in this example) is 15.6 cSt. At 150°C, it's 6 cSt.

At 150°C, 75w-140 (Synpower) is 10 cSt.

That's a huge bump in operational viscosity, and if you're experiencing such severe operating conditions, it'd make sense to go with the thicker lube.

I won't comment on why those using Amsoil have experienced issues; it's merely supposition and guesswork.

Regardless, here is one thing that's important to consider...

At 100°C, 75w-90 (Valvoline SynPower in this example) is 15.6 cSt. At 150°C, it's 6 cSt.

At 150°C, 75w-140 (Synpower) is 10 cSt.

That's a huge bump in operational viscosity, and if you're experiencing such severe operating conditions, it'd make sense to go with the thicker lube.

Maybe 75w110 is a good compromise

Compromise between what ......... ?
xxW140 for maximum components protection,? and
xxW90 for whatttttttt ? ..... another manuals monster??

Cadillac has 'designed' the differentials for xxW90 ? That's....... b..s.
Cadillac has 'selected' 75W90 for this application. That's wrong selection.Period.

Btw, from where were these Cadillac engineers trained ?

Last edited:
Getrag designed and built this differential, not Cadillac, it's used in multiple vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back